They asked if I wanted the ribs cracked or not?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

den

Original poster
May 14, 2009
I'm a newbie and trying my first ribs this weekend. The place we order pork from asked if I wanted the ribs cracked or not. What the hell is that?

NO idea, better ask them.

Are you sure you dialed the right number? Sounds like you might have gotten "Guido & Sal's Collection Agency, LLC."

When trimming full slabs of spares to make St. Louis style ribs you cut the rib tips off at the joint. You can feel where they bend. I think they are talking about cracking this cartilage joint between the ribs.

I had to call my cousin the Butcher on this one. It means one of two things either they are going to cut the brisket bone off so that it so all you have to do is cut down between the individual ribs. Or they are going to barely saw into that brisket bone so you can seperate them easier.

WIth the brisket bone gone it makes them like St.Louis style ribs.

Hope that helps!

Ash

Scubadoo97 beat me to it lol

There's several ways to 'crack' the ribs. The most common is to separate the brisket from the ribs as in St. Louis style. Another is to cut half way thru the joints and bend them over and under the ribs, the fat from the brisket basting the leaner rib meat. Another is to cut through the ligaments about every other rib down thru the brisket so you can finish the cuts between the ribs after cooking. Yet another meaning is to similarly cut through the breastbone on the large end of the ribs with a cleaver three or four times, so you can pass through it with a knife down thru the cartilages and between the ribs (this was the method I learned from my dad). All methods are meant to ease carving of the ribs thru the cartilages and bone of the brisket.

" They are going to barely saw into that brisket bone so you can seperate them easier. "

The cousin the butcher knows what it is too crack the ribs.

Thanks all, I'm ordering them cracked.

Are you sure heard the word ribs and not Crabs..LMAO!!!!!!

Thank you for asking this question I learned something new about ribs today.
PDT_Armataz_01_01.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky