theres no place around here like this place so this must be the place

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jakern

Original poster
May 28, 2017
Hello All,

Been following the forum for a while now, and am finally ready to bite the bullet and purchase my first smoker!

But I need some advice from y'all - do I get the Dyna-Glow offset vertical, or the masterbuilt 2 door. 

And since this forum seems to be a grand big community I'll share a little about myself. I just graduated college in Washington DC where I still work doing corporate communications. I'm originally from New York City, but with lots of close family in Texas I've grown up on barbecue. 

I have a decent amount of experience roasting whole hogs over open flame and I've done a couple methods there, spit roast, a brick built house, and a caja china, but am new to smoking meat. 

I love all things cooking so am ready to learn and hopefully share some fun tips. 

Jakern, welcome to SMF!  Glad you are here and so excited about smoking meat.  All your experience will serve you well once you get your smoker.  Which one?  Offset or propane?  I have no experience with either but someone will be along shortly with an answer.

Have fun shopping!

Ray

Last edited:
Hi There! 

I cant wait to try out some recipes and share my results. 

I'm looking at the masterbuilt propane and the dynaglow wood fired

I have a dyna glo offset and it is okay, if you get that one plan on doing some modifications at least a heat baffle. I recommend sealing it as you build it then checking after it is all dry.

I added a temporary baffle and it changed the smoker considerably and I am having to relearn using it but i recommend it highly.

What materials did you use to build the baffle? I'm limited to the lack of a welder. 

Welcome to the forum!! 
welcome1.gif

Mine is currently an old cookie sheet held up by fire bricks. Later this summer a friend is going going to come by with a wielder and we will do it much better. But my current setup has the advantage of firebricks retaining heat as wellm

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky