The plan

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

carl spackler

Original poster
Sep 30, 2007
southeast Ia
Get a butt today season it with a rub from this site. Smoke it on saturday along with my first fatty, some smoked potatoes and smoke some more of that 99 cent bone in chicken breast. A bag of pre cooked hot wings so I have some snacks with all this work. Also building a enclosure for a wood stove to heat my house. I havent decided which rub to use yet but any would be a step up from the past. My pork has sucked but I think ive figured out my issues. I am going to post pics of my ugly ss smoker so everybody can see the make over.

Sounds like a plan indeed... good luck with it and have fun!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

As far as rubs go I use Jeff's rub for pork butts and have had nothing, "butt" great results.
icon_mrgreen.gif
Some pun intended
icon_mrgreen.gif

Seriously though his rub is the cats meow for pork imo.

Are wood stoves partial to which rub is used? Try the one where your wife rubs your butt.. J/K

Have you tried Jeff's rub yet? Are you looking for suggestions on the rub or do you think your issues are with the smoker?

i have wonder the same thing carl.........to rub before freezing......or waiting till it thawed.............

i would THINK, (yeah "I" know.......that will get a person in trouble)
it would be better to rub after wards.....but NO clue.......hopefull some one will come along that has tried both ways...........i am doing a butt saturday........bout two of em.......... .99/lb a man just CANT pass up......wish i had more moola to have picked up a case of em...........

but will be freezing the other one, for maybe the Iowa get together

but yeah........jeff's rub ROX on porkbutt.........makes SUCH a nice bark......cook fat side down.........with no drip pan........i found when i did my brisket with a pan........i got NO bark........NONE......NADA.......

smokebuzz sez use the pan for the first couple hours.......then take it outta thepan so the bark can develope.......so will be giving THAT a shot next packer i do

good luck

d8de

I read something a while back in a book about not putting rub on meat before freezing, I don't remember all the details, seems like they said the salt lowers the freezing point of the meat on the surface and more damage is done to the cell structure of the meat.........making it more prone to freezer burn. I will try to find it and post the details. Anyhow it definitely recommended against it (at least if there is a lot of salt in the rub), but the details are sketchy to me right now. I think it was that (lowering freezing point) in conjunction with just the straight cellular damage that the salt does. Salt on the meat + freezing = increase chance of freezer burn and/or funky texture to the surface of the meat.

It just stuck with me not to do it since I had similiar thoughts about rubbing before freezing. But, I can honestly say that I did not try it.

Makes sense Joe.. I wonder about injecting - if that would be the same. We all know about foods we buy with "solution" added.

The latest issue of Cooks Illustrated mentions "enhanced" meat. Basically says don't use them if you can help it.

I try to avoid them myself.. but this day and age all the Big Packagers are trying to enhance everything. Unless you buy all your meat fresh or have your meat butchered.. it's hard to stay completely away from it.

Personally I wouldn't recommend injecting or rubbing before freezing. Packagers flash freeze frozen items anyway.

Joe makes a lot of sense
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I have about 3 in the freezer right now & none have rub. Never even thought about that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky