The "healthiest" pellets?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I believe on the Lumberjack website they say it is simply just compressed wood dust. No clues, additives, etc. Their process I believe just compresses the crap out of it to make the pellets.

I'm not sure if this is just common practice for most of them but I seem to remember LJ stating it as a transparent pro for their pellets. Again I believe i read it on their website so please double check me :)
Great thank you for the info. I will reach out to them via email and see what kind of response I can get.

Reactions: tallbm
No one's pellets are cored out of wood. They're all compressed sawdust, using the internal sap as glue under pressure. Some may "cheat a bit" by not giving you 100% the wood claimed on the label, and some may "Dewey Cheatham & Howe" by just adding perfume to give the wood aroma claimed, but none have any particularly toxic additives--the additives would cost more than the sawdust! They're all healthy, enough. But we are smoking Folks, California or not. This is not unlike smoking tobacco...we should probably try to limit our exposure somewhat for our own health's sake and the pocketbooks of those in our joint Health Plans.
So enjoy it while we can...this may go the way of cigars, if not via the legislation of the government, then the legislation of our spouses and MD's.

Reactions: Snizzley
OK bud. I'm not sure if you are trying to insult me or "most folks from CA that post on this forum". Either way I don't know why you would even bother with a comment like that.
I'm not sure why you would take a dig at California, insinuating and grouping an area as if they are all a certain way , when you are asking about "healthy smoking pellets" on a bbq forum, bud. If you don't see the irony.... And no, in no way would someone take my initial post as a jab at CA folks on here.

Reactions: Steff3
I'm not sure why you would take a dig at California, insinuating and grouping an area as if they are all a certain way , when you are asking about "healthy smoking pellets" on a bbq forum, bud. If you don't see the irony.... And no, in no way would someone take my initial post as a jab at CA folks on here.
Don't put words in my mouth, bud. Ya I see the irony so let's agree to go our own separate ways. Happy grillin chief-

My goal is to find out if these brands are using additives that adversely effect health. I don't have an issue with cooking over fire or charcoal and I don't listen to CA (lol).
The only 2 brands that I have researched, purchased, and used for 100% wood and no additives are Lumberjack and Bear Mountain.
No experience with other pellet brands than Traeger, which I now suspect as possible additives. My final load of Traeger pellets is in the hopper and will be my last. Already have my blend planned

New and cautious isn't a issue.
I know that fuel pellets shouldn't be used in a pooper because I have lived in 2 areas that sell and use pellet stoves as well as pellet grills. I will never use A.. or other internet retailer to purchase pellets.
Traeger was sold almost 20 years ago to a foreign enterprise. I learned that after purchasing my Masterbuilt pooper
Lighten up D.W. D.W.

The only 2 brands that I have researched, purchased, and used for 100% wood and no additives are Lumberjack and Bear Mountain.

Virtually every brand of BBQ pellets uses 100% wood with no additives. The only possible 'exception' is Traeger which uses the extracts of some woods as a flavoring agent for base woods.

Virtually every brand of BBQ pellets uses 100% wood with no additives. The only possible 'exception' is Traeger which uses the extracts of some woods as a flavoring agent for base woods.
Seems like the way to go is any brand EXCEPT Traeger due to the "flavor" adds.

LumberJack Competition Blend Pellets are Awesome, you can taste, smell and see the results once you burn a bag in your pellet grill.

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0506.JPG
    IMG_0506.JPG
    181.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0505.JPG
    IMG_0505.JPG
    161.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0518.JPG
    IMG_0518.JPG
    170.6 KB · Views: 27
I picked up some Bear Mountain hickory pellets on amazon $26/40lb since my local lumber jack source has been sold out all summer.
So far I am pretty impressed. The pellet size is a little larger diameter, but has been fool proof in my RT590.
Flavor has been nearly the same. I would go back to LJ since the price locally is a little better per pound, but overall I haven't noticed much difference in any name brand pellet of the same wood species.

I don't go with virtually. The definition of virtually is "almost".
All pellets are 100% wood, but which cut corners with industrial wood fuel and not solely food grade?
That is really the intent of the original post?
Traeger is suspect as they own the patent to flavorise.
I trust Lumberjack pellets. A friend was factory sales for Woodmaster Grills and he said they are great.

Reactions: Snizzley
.... there cant be a lot of pellet company's out there you wouldn't think but sounds like a hot business to be in lol . heating pellets may catch on at some point and might raise some more plants. ...
Actually, there are far more pellets produced for heating and shipped to Europe. A friend here in NC did some engineering for one company building several plants here maybe 5 or 6 years ago. There are tons and tons of pellets arriving and shipping out of the state port in Morehead City.

When I hear "filler woods" it means to me that the pellet is not 100% of the wood it is "advertised" as being. Meaning that many brands will say their pellet is apple for example, but it can be 70-80% oak or alder and the rest is the actual flavor wood. They can get away saying it's 100% hardwood because the oak is a hardwood. I try to stick with Lumberjack or Cabela's (made by LJ) because if it says apple or cherry or whatever it says on the bag then the pellet is composed of 100% of that flavor wood. I don't think anyone, including Traeger, is using non-wood fillers. They will use other woods and in some cases flavored oils to make the pellets, but I strongly doubt that they are using heating-grade wood or non-wood filler in their pellets.

I don't think anyone, including Traeger, is using non-wood fillers

Agreed. And it's pretty easy to tell if a pellet is 100% flavor wood - it will say so on the bag! There are so few company's that make them, they will let you know in big letters that they are 100% of wood specified. If it just say's 100% hardwood, you know it's a blend - unless it is oak or alder.

Unfortunately LJ isn’t selling straight out apple or mesquite as far as i can find, only blends but at least they tell you that and not try to dodge the truth
They might just be temporarily out of those woods. I have some 100% apple that I bought online from Dick's Sporting Goods. It was a little more expensive per bag than the blend. Cabela's has Apple in stock right now and they are made by LJ.

Unfortunately LJ isn’t selling straight out apple or mesquite as far as i can find, only blends but at least they tell you that and not try to dodge the truth
They might just be temporarily out of those woods. I have some 100% apple that I bought online from Dick's Sporting Goods. It was a little more expensive per bag than the blend. Cabela's has Apple in stock right now and they are made by LJ.

Someone posted an email in a thread somewhere on the forum to LJ regarding 100% Mesquite pellets. The email reply stated that 100% Mesquite has been discontinued :( :( :((((

I can't remember if Apple was also included in that email but I think so. Double check for that thread to confirm.

I am heartbroken about 100% Mesquite being discontinued. I'm going to buy up as much as I can find so I have it for years to come and hope it comes back. I'll also buy up some apple too but I use it sparingly on my end but don't like the idea of it being gone for ever.

Please don't buy up my local LJ supply of 100% Mesquite please!!! :D

Yes, I do remember the thread bemoaning the discontinuation of the mesquite ... I don’t recall it mentioning apple ... I like apple a lot and may have noticed, but it may have.

Reactions: Winterrider
That's strange, they use to have them on their website. I have seen them a few different times, they were usually a few dollars more per bag. My store no longer gets the 100% apple like it used to ( had both, 100% and blend ). Never really checked the mesquite.

Bear Mountain lists Apple and Mesquite.
Use the store locator and see if a source is close.
I notice the locator didn't list the store I purchased pellets. Possibly due to it being a local chain

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky