The Dishwasher Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

melleram

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Missouri
Ok well First, This is an old portable dishwasher. It has wheels and the sides and top already on it, not like a cabinet installed one. Secondly is has an all metal tub inside, and metal door. I gutted every piece of plastic, rubber, wire and controls that was in it. I then rewired the element that was already in it and plugged it in. It wouldn't get hot enough the unit would only get to about 140 degrees F. So I purchased a brinkman electric converter element for about $40. It came with the bottom round metal plate and a chip pan. That did the trick.

I cut some angle iron and used self taping screws to install shelves for the grates. The grates are old oven racks. I've got two grates the one you see and one all the way at the top to hang sausage from. Oh and one on the bottom just above the element for a water/drip pan

The door has an opening in it about 2" high X 8" wide that works perfect for a vent. In the bottom under the element are two 3.5" holes that were already made into the unit, drain and somthing, they seem to help draw air in.

I only spent $40 on the whole thing, and that was for the brinkman element, which works awesome. If I keep the door closed it runs at a steady 230 degrees. For sausage I can control the heat down to about 170 degrees using a 100 ft extension cord and a screwdriver to gap open the door.
9b686d08_vbattach23100.jpg

e1a18453_vbattach23101.jpg

9d04fbd6_vbattach23102.jpg

8d4d6d49_vbattach23103.jpg

Reactions: duck killer 1
Great smoker. Not sure I would use a 100 ft. ext. cord as a control. You are building a large amount of resistance with that much cord. You could have a real safety issue there.

So question for you?? What gave you the idea or did the dishwasher just jump out of front of you one day when you were driving home. Now that is one of the most interesting smoker builds that I have seen. I did see your ribs and sausage smoke yesterday and they looked yummy good too.

I was diging through a junk pile on my family's farm looking for inspiration for a smoker...and I saw this and thought...I bet I could use the element out of that..then the more I looked at it I thought..hmm I think this whole thing could work.

I was going to do this about 2 years ago and never got around to it. I just got a new MES at Bass Pro for 129 so don't need to do it anymore. But glad to see it works. Now I can let my wife know I am not the only crazy guy wanting to build a Smoker out of a broke dish washer. Still might do it so I can smoke bigger food in an elec. Alreday have 4 elec. and a big wood smoker one more wouldn't hurt would it?

Great Idea! I have yet to see a dishwasher smoker, well done! Did you have to order the element from Brinkmanns or did you find it at a store?

Lookin forward to some more q-views from you with this cool setup!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky