The disease has begun

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hookup

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 25, 2010
VA
Got the smoker up and running for only one week, now I am noticing some behaviorial changes like

Just went to the grocery store for some cheap beer and had to walk through the meat section. Since I was smok'n a pork butt, might as well pick up something easy .. ahh.. sausage.

Then I walked through the kitchen gadget section and found a meat injector and a variety of meat thermometers. Picked up an injector and will use our old stick-in-meat thermometer.

After these detours through the store, I finally made it to the beer section.

On the way to the register, I saw a display of hamburger buns ... well got a pack of those too.

A $17 case of beer cost me almost $40.

Does it ever end?

I've got the same problem. I've just started my shopping list for tomorrow.

Apple juice
Spray bottle
Brown sugar
Beer

Im sure I wont get out of there for less than $100.00
icon_cool.gif

It gets worse, my wife goes to the store and brings home meat for me to smoke, even when I did not know I was going too haha

Yep as rbranstner said you'll never ever go to the grocery with the same attitude as you once did. I will always wander over to look at the meat prices, rubs, marinades, etc. I have caught myself checking the freshness of jalapenos even when I'm not smoking any ABT's.

and it gets worse... after you got your ribs, brisky, butts, sausage for fatties, etc... you head to produce for japs for abt's... everything inbetween has to be scrutinized just in case it couldnt be used on the smoker either as is or as a filling for something. and when you are routinely going thru them big super saver sized spice containers of CBP. paprika, etc... then you know you got it bad!!! and i forgot the beer!!!!

Then there is driving down the street eye balling peoples junk left out for the garbage man and you are looking for smoker parts..... My wife just shakes her head !!!

That's part of the addiction. Then you spend lots of nights on SMF to try to see what you should buy with your next trip. It keeps building on itself.

Now when you go to some stores you will forget everything that you were going in for and go straight to the smoking meat sections. But in your travels thur the stores you need to buy you a food saver system or a suckim up thingy now. You don't want to be throwing out food so you can smoke some more. Then just wait for the Qview addiction to kick in......... The worst is always yet to come.

Welcome To Your New Addiction

I feel your pain!
icon_rolleyes.gif
I just picked up two racks of BB for next week. I'm a spice, sauce, and hot sauce junkie also. Here is one cabinet full, I'd show more but don't want to be called a hoarder.
icon_redface.gif

Enjoy the ride, brother, 'cause this is a non-stop trip. There's only one thing that can break this cycle, and I doubt any of us hangin' out here are ready to die just yet, 'cause we're havin' too darn much fun smokin'!!!!!!!!

I'm on-line looking at new smokers/grills available to me at least 3 times a week. My Q spices, spice grinder (coffee grinder), measures, food scales, and dry rub containers now take up 5-5 gallon poly totes...and growing. I'm coordinating our family's first annual 2-day reunion & potluck Bbq for July 2010, and I'm already coming to the realization that a larger trailer will make my life much easier...so, yeah, now I'm looking at bigger equipment all around...no worries though.

My wife and I just got into our second friendly/joking argument (the first one was last-night) over who the chuck roasts "belonged" to (which she brought home last-night) in front of the kids, who were nearly rolling on the floor with tears of laughter. She told me I have more than enough meats to smoke for the next 2-4 weeks...she's right, I do, but can you blame me for trying to lay claim to 7lbs of chuck? LOL!!!

EVERYTHING food related is viewed by me as a potential smoke...I sometimes have to remind myself that I can be dangerous to the bank account when I'm shopping someplace that has lots of good buys on meats or outdoor cooking supplies. I buy charcoal briquettes in 120-180lb lots.

My wife surprises me as someone mentioned earlier...bringing home smokin' goodies when I thought I'd be grilling burgers or something. She keeps me and my smokers happy, and I keep her and the kids happy with good vittles. She watches meat sales like a hawk, and calls me @ work to ask me if I'm running low/out of anything...great woman to have my back like she always tries to.

Fortunately, as things progress, you'll notice that they aren't getting worse...they get better because you eventually come to a point where you'll have most anything you could possibly need (want..he-he) for outdoor cooking. Then you can toss whatever you want on the smoker when ever you have the time, and do it with the comfort of knowing that nothing can stop you from creating another work of art.

Many great smokes to ya, brother!

Eric

Not yet, although I do have a grill and a 100,000 BTU outdoor propane burner.

Now that I think about it, I would like a Weber Smokey Mountain Charcoal smoker .....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky