temperature question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

branstone

Original poster
Sep 9, 2008
I got a new Smoke dual probe thermometer.

I used it last night for the first time. I noticed that the temp at the grill was considerably lower than the temp on the door mounted temp gauge ( towards the top of the unit ) I have an Oklahoma Joe's Longhorn. I was just testing so I cooked a tri-tip and was not really concerned about an exact temp. However, the mounted gauge on top read about 400 and the probe at the grill was about 300. IS this normal ?

here is a photo showing where the factory gauge is

View media item 553423

Since you can check the Smoke therm probes in boiling water at your altitude and they read correctly , then go by the Smoke because the therm that came with the smoker maybe correct but is not close to food level.
- Kurt

Yes. That is normal. And I don't think it matters what kind of smoker it is, this is very typical of those mechanical temp gauges- especially when they are at the lid or otherwise top of the cook chamber. It is always best to put your probe at grate level as you did. That's where the meat is!

Kurt is right on in that it is a best practice to "proof" your therms. Put your probe in a glass of ice water also.

Good idea to test the accuracy, thanks for the replies!

I am smoking a prime rib for Christmas, want it to go well.

OK, my curiosity peaked.
My dual probe reads in C, so you can see, it's a cheapie.
That said... I still thought it should be checked.
I got a fast 99* C with the meat probe. And a much slower 99* C with the dull probe.
So I pulled the probes out of the boiling chicken water, dryed them, and when they were stable (cooled to ambient), did the ice water read.
33* C for both.
So then I checked the Altitude/ barometric pressure correction. That put the boiling point of water, on my stove, at 98.77 * C Pretty close.
And since I don't cold smoke at 33* C, I think I'm good.
But at least I know now.

Heat rises. That's physics.

There are temperature variations across any smoker. 100F isn't unusual. In a horizontal smoker without plates or reverse flow, the temp will always be hotter closer to the top than it will be on the grate. The grate will be hotter closer to the firebox than it will be next to the exhaust. Use your new dual probe therm to find the temp zones in your smoker. It's all part of the learning process of getting to know your equipment.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky