temp trouble

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chuck45

Original poster
Nov 18, 2017
I'm having trouble with my Masterbuilt propane smoker temps are all over the place. I'm smoking 8 8# pork butts for a wedding tomorrow. Started smoker early temp jumped up to 280 with water pan full of water. put meat in and it wouldnt heat up past 170. took water pan out and actually relit the smoker and it jumped up too 300. Put water pan back in and its really slow to heat up. I've been smoking on this smoker for a few months and this is the first time ive had this much trouble adjusting heat. i did add a deeper aluminum pan in place of factory water pan. Maybe thats the problem? do I need the water doing this much pork for a 12 hour smoke?
Another question, meat on top rack is showing 14 degrees hotter internal than meat on bottom?

Attachments

• pork butts.jpeg
    pork butts.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 36
Adding that much cold meat will definitely bring the temp down, but it should slowly return to normal.
Yes the top of the smoker will run a little hotter than the bottom. Especially if the meat is close to the water pan.
You can always rotate the racks about half way through the cook.
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky