Temp to Kill Trichinellosis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
WOW! Guess I would be serving that Ground Squirrel Tartare tonight.😅...JJ

Reactions: 912smoker
I am aware of strains of freezer resistant trichinellosis. The Alaska Dept of Fish & Game has a website that specifically states that the type of trichinosis here is freezer resistant and to not attempt to use freezing as a method of destroying the parasite.
Yes. I looked into this prior to making my wild hog coppa. The freezer resistant strain lives in northern animals and is not found in Mississippi or Louisiana. I certainly would not recommend dry curing bear meat!

Because of all the other unknowns, as chef jimmyj chef jimmyj pointed out, cooking the bear summer sausage to 160*F INT is probably the best course of action.

A bunch of great contribution here! Thanks ALL..." SMF Members...Saving your BUTT, one Hog at a Time.☺"...JJ

Thanks for all the responses. I was asking because I have a friend who shot a black bear and wants me to make some summer sausage for him. I like Dave's suggestion of going an extra 30-60 min, I'll add that to my process. I start with a smoker and then finish with a sous vide bath, where I'll bring it up to temp (and then leave it there for another +30min). After this discussion, I'm inclined to use 160F as my target temp. Normally with deer, I've been targeting 154F despite CDC guidance to cook everything to 160F.

If you Sous Vide the salami at 130F for 90 minutes, it WILL be safe to eat... That's what pasteurization is all about.... Cooking food at a lower temperature for a longer time...
The pasteurization process it approved by the USDA.... The meat will NOT be overcooked and will NOT be dry and it will NOT have a "fat out".... You will have a much superior product.... Just be sure it dries out enough while in the smoker.,.,

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky