Temp to Kill Trichinellosis

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drno

Original poster
Feb 4, 2015
Juneau, Alaska
I'm a little confused as to the guidance to kill Trichinellosis. The CDC, and many people on the internet, cite 160F. For me, the confusion arises because on the CDC page, https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/trichinellosis/hunters.html it says 160F but also references a "Meat Preparation (USDA)" link, which is broken. But if you go find the FSIS (Food Safety & Inspection Service) USDA paper on Trichinellosis, they have a range of temps

1621634459796.png

I'm inclined to believe that anything above 144 would kill Trichinella. Normally, I make deer sausage and aim for 154F, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be applicable with bear/boar. Any one have any insight into this temperature discrepancy?

Thanks
Nick

According to my handy amazingribs.com meat temerature guid, fresh ground meats to hit 160. For a solid piece of pork/ham, they're saying 135-145. USDA recommended minimum with solid pork is 145. You know that the USDA is always going to be conservative, so I would think that would kill it.

From reading the information on the USDA site below, and apn73 posted, 145Fwith a 3 minute rest/wait period is accepted as "safe." Personally, I would stay with 155-165F like the "old pork" level for roasting/smoking. So it becomes a matter of personal preference on temp and cooking process. The sous vide info indaswamp provided, IMO, ensures a more accurate internal temperature to clear out the little nasties that might be present. 🍻
John
Parasites and Foodborne Illness | Food Safety and Inspection Service (usda.gov)

1621643255401.png

Following the above table will kill all trich... Personally, I use pasteurization table all the time to insure I will not get infected with food borne bacteria... ALSO, I add 30-60 minutes to their minimum times for insurance in the event my thermometer is not calibrated perfectly...
128F for 2 hours will make the food safe, with a margin toward food safety....

Reactions: SKade
GOVERMENT agencies post minimum cooking temps for the New Cook and those totally unfamiliar with Food Safety. These are for INSTANTANEOUS Bacteria Elimination or a log5, 100,000 times reduction, to log7, 10,000,000 times reduction in the number of Bacteria. In these last two cases, there may be some active Bacteria but their numbers are too low to cause Illness. Proper Hot and Cold vs Time handling procedures and storage must still be followed.

Now in the event a person digs deeper, they will find the concept of PASTEURIZATION this system use Temp over Time to accomplish Bacteria and Parasite Kills or Reduction to safe numbers. Following above Tables 126°F (Rare) for 2 hours eliminates Trichinae just as thoroughly as USDA Instantaneous 145°F (Medium)

It should be noted that Higher Temps for Wild Game, Hog, Bear, take into consideration All possible Pathogens, both Bacterial and Viruses, found naturally and those introduced during gutting and processing. The frequent long period of time between the kill and Refrigeration is also taken into consideration.
Yes, Trichinae is Trichinae, and will be killed at 145°F...but there may be other Nasty Bacteria and Viruses that need the higher temps to be rendered Safe...JJ

As stated at the lower temperatures it’s a mater of time. You will start to kill some of the bacteria at 120 but it is a slow process. Think of it like finding you and some friends in a desert. You’ll be fine for a bit. Eventually the heat will start to get to you but it will take awhile. Some might last longer than others but eventually the heat will get you. If your in a forest fire you have less time. Lava and everyone is gone.

LOL..Great analogy!...JJ

Trichinosis, yep it's one of the bad guys you don't want to meet up with. But how many cases are there in the US per year..... a dozen? Following the time and temperature information above will take of it and the other members of the gang of pathogens too.

Did you happen to harvest some wild hogs this season? I have some wild hog sausage in the freezer.

I'm inclined to believe that anything above 144 would kill Trichinella. Normally, I make deer sausage and aim for 154F, I'm not sure why that wouldn't be applicable with bear/boar. Any one have any insight into this temperature discrepancy?

Thanks
Nick
It should be noted that Higher Temps for Wild Game, Hog, Bear, take into consideration All possible Pathogens, both Bacterial and Viruses, found naturally and those introduced during gutting and processing. The frequent long period of time between the kill and Refrigeration is also taken into consideration.
Yes, Trichinae is Trichinae, and will be killed at 145°F...but there may be other Nasty Bacteria and Viruses that need the higher temps to be rendered Safe...JJ
I am looking for an article (not in SMF) about wild boar and bear that recommends 165°F to kill all pathogens especially Trichinae. The article stated that Trichinae in wild game is highly temperature resistant.

Good point about the game conditions JJ.
Now deceased friend that owned the local locker could not eat venison after butchering the shot up carcasses from poor hunters.
He got gut shot, butt shot, and multiple shot that contaminates so much meat.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Ive not seen any info on Heat tolerant Trichinae but there are a few strains that are Freezer tolerant and should be avoided for Charcuterie. Below is some good info with links to the relevant Studies cited. Interesting read...JJ

" FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY! THE INFORMATION MAY OR MAY NOT BE 100% ACCURATE..."...JJ

• Wow
Reactions: forktender
I cringe every time I see something posted by Hank Shaw. Yes I've hunted, fished and cooked with him.
I have first hand experience with the dude, and he is a complete hack. The dude has zero professional training yup ZERO!!! He takes guide trips with super close friends of mine and then writes like he learned from years of experience or in culinary school. (in which he never attended) He is not a Chef or a good hunter, fisherman or forager. What Hank is a good salesman and writer nothing more. So screw what H.S. says there are way more educated people when it comes to food safety and safe foraging practices. And the guy is a total dork.
(I was being extremely nice here).

Last edited:
Ok, then. That article has been deemed questionable, though much of it is accurate. Let's say..." FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY! THE INFORMATION MAY OR MAY NOT BE 100% ACCURATE..."...JJ

• Haha
Reactions: forktender
What steps do you take to ensure your dry cured, uncooked pork is safe?

Commercial Pork is generally safe. If you want insurance, Freeze, 0°F for 30 days. If we are talking Wild Hog...
That would best be answered by indaswamp indaswamp ...JJ

Thanks for all the responses. I was asking because I have a friend who shot a black bear and wants me to make some summer sausage for him. I like Dave's suggestion of going an extra 30-60 min, I'll add that to my process. I start with a smoker and then finish with a sous vide bath, where I'll bring it up to temp (and then leave it there for another +30min). After this discussion, I'm inclined to use 160F as my target temp. Normally with deer, I've been targeting 154F despite CDC guidance to cook everything to 160F.

I am aware of strains of freezer resistant trichinellosis. The Alaska Dept of Fish & Game has a website that specifically states that the type of trichinosis here is freezer resistant and to not attempt to use freezing as a method of destroying the parasite. As a fun fact, the website also warns of trichinosis in some animals that most people don't commonly think of consuming -- walrus, lynx, ground squirrels.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky