Tater Bombs and Wings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Misplaced Nebraskan

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Sep 20, 2018
Austin, TX
Wife and I were craving some wings so I thawed a bag and got them in a brine last night. I used a basic poultry brine; Water, White Vinegar, Salt, Sugar, Garlic Powder. Heated to combine and iced to cool. Put the wings in to soak it up til tonight. Spent the day trying to come up with a side. Originally settled on potato skins and then that lead me to mini one bite twice baked potatoes... or tater bombs. Not sure if they are known by another name, but it sounded good.

Cook Details:

Date: 10/28/2019
Food: Chicken Wings And Baby Red Spuds
Rub: Cook Shack Spicy Chicken Rub
Cooker: Weber 26" with the Vortex and a chunk of mesquite wood
Temp: 350°F ish at sides... hot AF over the coals (400°F oven for the taters)
Cook Time Brisket: 45 minutes for the wings and 45 minutes for the tater bombs (30 mins over and 10-15 on the pit)

Didn't get any pics of wing prep, but it was about 20 wings. rinsed the brine real good and then dried them off real good. I tossed them with about 1.5 tbsp of baking powder. This will dry out the skin and give an amazing crispiness to them! No frying required! After I tossed them in BP, I let them sit in the fridge for about 45 minutes while I got the potatoes prepped.

I washed all the baby reds and dried them, then tossed in EVOO, salt and pepper. I baked them at 400°F for about 30 minutes until they probed tender.

full?d=1572313027.jpg

full?d=1572313027.jpg

After they cooked, I let them cool and sliced off the tops. The scraps made great snacks.

full?d=1572313027.jpg

I used a melon baller to scoop them out a bit

full?d=1572313027.jpg

I mixed the innards with Tillamook Sharp Cheddar, Sour Cream, a splash of heavy cream, and pepper.

full?d=1572313027.jpg

I got the pit rolling

full?d=1572313027.jpg

I tossed the wings in Cook Shack Spicy Chicken Rub and got them on the pit with a chunk of mesquite using the vortex.

full?d=1572313027.jpg

Progress pic

full?d=1572313027.jpg

Back to the spuds... I filled them back up with the mixture

full?d=1572313027.jpg

Topped with more cheese

full?d=1572313027.jpg

I added them to the grill to melt the cheese and reheat the taters

full?d=1572313027.jpg

Fresh off the pit

full?d=1572313027.jpg

The wings are sooo crispy using the baking powder!

full?d=1572313027.jpg

Topped the Tater Bombs off with Sour Cream, Chives, and more Bacon Bits. Time to dig in!

full?d=1572313027.jpg

Final Thoughts:

It was a little bit of effort but oh so worth it. I will be doing these again! The tater bombs were bite sized and just amazing. The wings were some of the best I've done. I even got the wife's blessing on both! I highly recommend making these as a great finger food side dish, or just a Monday night meal... Cheers Y'all!

Great post!! That baking powder is pretty miraculous for crispy skin. You pics are great and that plated shot would rival any feature post. Well done!

Last edited:
Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Great post!! That baking powder is pretty miraculous for crispy skin. You pics are great and that plated shot would rival any feature post. Well done!

Thank you! It is a great method for some good wings!

Dammit Man, 1st Class and Grade A all the way!
Simple but Spectacular!
And the pics, beautiful examples of the finest Qview.

The wings look scrumptious and the taters decadent.
Like! Like!

Congrats on the Carousel ride.

Thanks Chili! I had them pictured in my head all day. Just happy this was one project that exceeded my expectations. they were so good!

Thank you!

Looks great!

I have to try the baking powder trick

Thank you! Definitely do try. It makes a huge difference. To me at least...

Hell yeah man that all looks amazing! My kind of meal. Thanks for the BP trick ill have to try that next time I do smoked wings. I could see how the mini taters could be a PITA but look well worth it in the end! Congrats on the carousel ride!

John

Hell yeah man that all looks amazing! My kind of meal. Thanks for the BP trick ill have to try that next time I do smoked wings. I could see how the mini taters could be a PITA but look well worth it in the end! Congrats on the carousel ride!

John
Thanks John! I wish I had gotten more process pics of the wings but this meal really turned out to be about the spuds :emoji_laughing:. The BP is a good trick to have in the bag though for skin on poultry.

Very NICE cook. In my book that paring is about the best two finger foods you can have! Better than popcorn at a movie and that is saying something!

Very NICE cook. In my book that paring is about the best two finger foods you can have! Better than popcorn at a movie and that is saying something!

Thanks! Agreed. they go hand in hand very well. But now I am craving a movie and popcorn :emoji_grin:

Good looking cook! Those taters especially look appealing. Do you ever sauce your wings?

Thanks! I'm 50/50 on suace/glazes. The next batch for sure will be glazed in some form. Probably sriracha/sambal/honey mix of sorts.

Reactions: civilsmoker
Looks fantastic! Great way to crisp up wings! And the potatoes look really really good! Love the plating for some nice pictures...very well done!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky