Tamales?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
tamale "traditions" differ across regions. Being from South Texas, ours were a bit different (but similar) than those discussed above.
I'd say as long as the meat is tastyand falls apart you're probably good. We'd re-cook ours with our "traditional" chili paste and spices blend before making into tamales.

here is the last batch i did............

a tip on the masa.......salt it lightly and whip the hell out of it. to test it, drop a small spoon full in a cup of water......if it floats you are good to go. between the lard and air being whipped into it you will create a moist and light dough.

And now the secrets come out
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif
... The lard keeps them from getting soggy in the steam bath.

Man, now i want to make some tamales...

( my 5 yo son saw the tank and wanted me to put it in there..)

Again, thanks for all the advice. I ended up boiling the meats in a chili like broth but I should have tried making tamale dough long before the day of the party. I could no get the dough to come out pliable using the masa and lard and chicken broth.

Let me hear your tamale dough techniques, I could use em!

this is close to what i do.........

1/3 pound lard
1 pound fresh ground masa (unprepared)
chicken broth
1 tablespoon salt
Beat lard with an electric mixer to aerate (approximately 2 minutes). Beat in small amounts of masa until all is incorporated into lard. Add a small amount of water or broth if needed. (This is a personal judgment call.) When masa is desired consistency, beat in salt. Test the masa for doneness by dropping a small amount in a glass of water. If the masa floats, the masa is done. Do not overbeat or the masa will become dry and hard. Refrigerate, covered, if not using immediately.[/font]
[FONT='Arial','sans-serif']Fresh ground masa can be found in Mexican specialty stores or in your neighborhood grocery during the months of November-January. If you can't find fresh ground masa, try the Masa Harina Masa recipe Notes: Unprepared masa is only ground corn. It should not be premixed or contain lard or salt.
Yield: 1 dozen tamales
Prep Time: 15 min
Difficulty: Easy

are you using straight masa? I always use a product called maseca, I don't know if there's any difference, but the instructions on the bag are pretty easy to follow and with a little doctoring up, provide great results, something to think about.

Trust me on this one - I shared some of these on Sunday evening and they were awesome -

there you have it folks........a glowing endorsement from the man stuck between the table and the wall!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky