SV newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

fullborebbq

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 3, 2015
Buffalo,NY
Thanks for all the previous posts. I now have a new toy.
20191231_173405.jpg 20191231_173414.jpg 20191231_175949.jpg
Found some neoprene from an old project.
The steak was previously cold smoked and rubbed with a porchini mushroom rub.
Set to 137deg. Two hours later
20191231_202802.jpg
in for a sear
20191231_203634.jpg
happy new year's eve dinner.
I know the taters were leftover, but the king crab made up for them.

SV is a fun toy. Has it's pros and cons just like everything. Great job with your 1st venture. I really like that you recognized an advantage/opportunity to insulate your cooking vessel.

Reactions: fullborebbq
Looks good! What did you think of the maiden voyage? Like S-Met said, there’s pros and cons associated with using SV.

I’m glad to see you used a leaner strip steak instead of a fattier ribeye. Ribeyes just don’t come out good with SV imho.. I much rather have them grilled or reverse seared.

The SV really shines with leaner proteins.

Reactions: zwiller and S-met
SV does a great job on veggies. Tender but not mushy in about an hour around 180f. I add a tab of butter or splash of olive oil and seasoning.
Sometimes I'll add 1-2 butter knifes or spoons as weights to the vac-bag to help keep them submerged.

This one is low budget entry level unit,$50.00 on Amazon. Takes a bit of time to heat at only 850W. It is definitely not for the instan gratification crowd.

I do like the idea of reheating meat without overcooking. I will try this theory with the leftover cold then hot smoked prime rib from last night! But that's a future post.

Reactions: S-met
This one is low budget entry level unit,$50.00 on Amazon. Takes a bit of time to heat at only 850W. It is definitely not for the instan gratification crowd.

I do like the idea of reheating meat without overcooking. I will try this theory with the leftover cold then hot smoked prime rib from last night! But that's a future post.
850w is plenty. I have a 750w and a 1000w. From chilled water to warm may take a little longer, but I start with warm-hot water. Sometimes max tap hot. Sometimes I'll heat on the stove. I also have an electric water kettle with a 1.75l capacity and several settings between 160 and boiling. Pour into warm-hot tap water can get temps close quickly.

Question: how long do you let the meat stand after SV before opening to RS?
I let it sit 10-15 in the bag. Reserve the juice but pull the steak and pat dry. Let it sit for another 5-10min before searing on a lightly smoking cast iron.

After thinking about it starting with hot water makes sense. Since you are not cooking directly in the water (vac packed) it is less of a concern with the water coming from the HW tank. On the plus side as well my tank is set for 130 deg. and it actually came out at 129.5 to the vessel.

Reactions: S-met
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky