SV Chop, Mustard Mash & Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bauchjw

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Aug 3, 2015
Alexandria, VA
Sorry for being away for a bit. I’m going to try to catch up, I have a few cooks to post, but I’ve been busy trying to figure out how to retire, find a new career, and move the family back to the other side of the country!

But enough of that! For Valentines, we thought it’d be fun to try the other white meat in a fancy dish. It gave me an opportunity to try a mustard mashed potato recipe I’ve been wanting to pair with pork for a while. So, the dish was SV Boneless Chop, mustard mashed potatoes, and mushroom gravy.

This was my first SV with pork and it came out a bit dry, I’ll have to play with it a bit. (EDIT: Huge Brainfart, I know I overlooked it and that’s why it’s dry) That being said, the overall dish was decadence and so rich it was hard to finish!

Here we go!

SV’d Pork at 160 for a few hours, ~3. (EDIT: Too high, should’ve been 140-145)
EF516BE8-4306-4557-9F9A-4DB9B184A9EB.jpeg

After SV was going a couple hours, I started boiling potatoes and getting gravy together.

Gravy
Heaping handful of sliced mushrooms
5ish Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
2 cups beef broth
Cup heavy cream or we used whole milk
Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
Teaspoon Dijon mustard

Sauté shrooms over medium heat with some butter until tender, maybe even a bit browned.

Add rest of butter to skillet to melt and slowly whisk in flour and continue to whisk until it turns light brown for rue. Slowly stir in beef broth and heavy cream. Add Worcestershire sauce and dijon, bring to a simmer until sauce starts to thicken. S&P to taste.
73364DA5-7F33-4C37-82F2-4C30B950631F.jpeg
6A269C5D-A0B7-4429-B6B2-FEE4ED8A3827.jpeg

For potatoes, peeled, cut into quarters and boiled in salt water. Once they were done I strained and riced them back into the pot.
4567EEB4-ED66-45FA-9ABC-2E4A636209FB.jpeg

For the mustard flavors
Recipe:
5ish tablespoons butter
1/2 cup whole milk and 1/2 cup heavy cream….or we just did 1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon English mustard or we used a spicy German mustard
Tablespoon Dijon
1 tablespoon grainy mustard

Directions
Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat, add milk and stir, bring to low simmer. Add mustard and stir. Pour mixture over hot, riced potatoes and mix.
9EA4FF01-53F2-4B66-92DE-F70B8706A2AF.jpeg

Finally time to sear the chops!
C39B7FD0-CD8D-40D9-8CEF-358D77325B1C.jpeg

I decided to pre slice the meat and we were ready to plate. Mustard Potatoes, topped with pork, covered in mushroom gravy, and some fresh sage minced up for a good herb cut. I love sage with pork and it helped add depth to a heavy meal.
A7364CB3-706D-4090-A24A-4F7C2403BF5F.jpeg

This was a great over all meal, like I said at the start, extremely rich! I would have gone with a drizzle of gravy and fewer potatoes if the pork had come out better, but the pork flavor was there still and the shroom gravy and mustard potatoes helped detract from the dryness.

We really liked the potatoes for something unique. It’ll be something I keep trying with other meals.

Well, it was a good Valentines meal and something new. Thank you for your time, I hope you snd yours had a great day too!
F5253B83-DB27-4262-9630-512F05970A0B.jpeg

Last edited:
Hell of a meal Jed! Looks amazing. Good luck with the retirement and move. Going to California?
That’s the plan right now. It was an emotional debate, but we just have a lot of roots and history in San Diego. Also figured it’d be easier to leave there if we changed our mind than move in later. We’ll see!

Meal looks great.

Next time I’d try a bath temp of 135. Then sear to a finish temp of 141, with a final rest temp to 145. 160 is too high for pork. Even though SV cooked is why your pork was dry. Pork is done at 145.
Yes, you are 100% right. My mind is gone. I did a quick search of SV pork and glanced at the recipe temp without even thinking. I’ve been smoking or grilling my loins and chops to 145 for years and I have no idea why that didn’t register. That’s embarrassing! 🤣

Even with the slight goof in temps for the pork I'd not turn down that plate. Looks good from my screen.

Jim

Reactions: bauchjw
Well Jed, what can I say? You have once again put together a masterpiece. That looks absolutely delectable my friend.

Robert

Looks great Jed, I have a bunch of cooks on my phone. Just can't get myself in a mood to post them.

Good luck with retirement (you earned it) you must be one of the only people actually to move back to CA...lol

Great looking meal Jed!
Thank you! I appreciate your time!
Nice Jed . I know it was good bud .
Thank you chop! Very rich and tasty!
Even with the slight goof in temps for the pork I'd not turn down that plate. Looks good from my screen.

Jim
Thank you Jim! It was definitely edible🤣
Great looking meal Jed... it was smothered in gravy! MMMMMMMMM! And we all have brain farts from time to time lol.

Ryan
Thank you Ryan🤣 Brain farts are happening a lot lately 🤣 Thankfully it was not enough to ruin the meal, gravy helps🤘

A good gravy can bring anything around. I'd nail that most definitely !
Thank you! Gravy makes everything better!
That looks wonderful, Jed. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you Colin! I appreciate your time!
Well Jed, what can I say? You have once again put together a masterpiece. That looks absolutely delectable my friend.

Robert
Thank you Robert! I’m thinking about using those potatoes with a sausage wrap like you posted a while back. I appreciate your time!
Looks great Jed, I have a bunch of cooks on my phone. Just can't get myself in a mood to post them.

Good luck with retirement (you earned it) you must be one of the only people actually to move back to CA...lol
Thank you Cliff! It’s hard to take it to the next step sometimes 🤣

I appreciate it, really just my first retirement! Kids are too young to quit working and San Diego isn’t very cheap! I am one of the few to move back there, most move out and destroy Austin and Reno. The kids and I just love the ocean and surfing too much to give it up. We’ll see how long it lasts when we get there🤣

Good looking meal Jed and congrats on the retirement.

Point for sure
Chris

A fine looking cook Jed, I'd hit that in a hot second! I'd think of pulling up a little short of CA, looks like it might be getting ready to fall into the ocean. RAY

• Haha
Most of the SV Gurus will tell you that brining or using an injectable brine is not needed when using the SV method. But for me, chicken breasts and the 'high on the hog' cuts of pork really benefit from brining. I brined these meats for decades before getting a SV set-up and continue to do so.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky