Super frustrated - Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking in ft. collins

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 7, 2006
Fort Collins, CO
Set my GMG to 240 this morning and put two Chuck Roasts on at 8:15AM. It took until 4:30 to get to 160* and get wrapped in foil. It is now 6PM and they are at 187* and 179*! I was hoping to serve dinner at 5:30 but at this rate it is going to be breakfast tomorrow.

Before you ask, I know the temp of the smoker is correct. I verified it with two different thermometers. The meat thermometer is a Maverick.

Anybody have any ideas?

In a pan with some liquid , COVERED 325 if you're still trying to eat on it tonight .

Edit , covered .

If you added cold liquid that will happen. It will pick up temp quick in the oven

Reactions: chopsaw
It will come back ,,, sorry , I heat the juice before I add it when I do that .

I get it ,,, felt the same way first one I did . Learned from that one , the rest have been great . Always hard when someone is waiting on you to eat .

Chuck's sure can be frustrating. After smoking 4 or 5 I was starting to think that I had them figured out then I smoked one that just wouldn't finish. It went way beyond my estimated cook time, (And I had factored in an hour or two into the time estimate). It missed the party and I wound up putting it in the oven while the party carried on.

Never figured out the reason. Maybe it was just an ancient bovine and tough as shoe leather, inside and out.

Reactions: chopsaw
I pulled and served dinner at 7:30. I just finished cleaning the kitchen. Family enjoyed the pulled beef sandwiches and were good sports about the late hour.

Here is a picture of the result. At least there are lots of leftovers!

image1.jpeg

Thanks everyone for helping me get through my frustration!

That pulled beef looks great. Leftovers are always good

It looks great. You know you don't have to wait till 160 to foil when you feel it's had enough smoke foil it with a little bit of juice and get it moving faster.

Reactions: indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky