Suggestions needed for Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
it goes on sale right before Christmas just about every year. The 3 local grocery stores kind of have a price war with it.
biggrin.gif

That looks like a good roast Mossy, the next time that I do one, I'm going to smoke it at 200 degrees till the internal temp is around 90 or 100, then deep fry it till med rare.
wink.gif
If your cookin in -10 weather, I'm glad you got your enclosed smoke house. After yesterday in the mid twentys here, I have decided to enclose my smoker too. Seeing your setup was the kick in the butt that I needed.
smile.gif

cowgirl
That is the one thing with a smoker I can not answer; I never can predict what time supper is. Seems ever time I try and plan for a certain time I am off by 2 to 4 hours for internal temp on any chunk of meat. I think I am better off just smoking nad planning on leftovers for the next day !!!

BigArm's smokin
I am using a electric Masterbuilt today to smoke, that way I do not have to freeze my @ss constantly monitoring the temp. Ya, I am cheating !!!

I know what you mean Mossy........it's ready when the temperature probe says it's ready.
icon_mrgreen.gif

MossyMO;128520 said:
cowgirl
That is the one thing with a smoker I can not answer; I never can predict what time supper is. Seems ever time I try and plan for a certain time I am off by 2 to 4 hours for internal temp on any chunk of meat. I think I am better off just smoking nad planning on leftovers for the next day !!!

BigArm's smokin
I am using a electric Masterbuilt today to smoke, that way I do not have to freeze my @ss constantly monitoring the temp. Ya, I am cheating !!![/quote]

No you're not ... I use propane for the same reason!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Here is the prime rib after 2 hours of smoke just before I tented the pan with foil and turned the smoker up to 190º.

okay.......i did the research for you larry..........i never use a prime rib with the bone.............

all of these show the salt crust method......tho one of em, is the one i used..........with the water.........this first one, tho shows the benifits of using a "SALT" oven........fish poulty beef etc.

http://www.saltinstitute.org/recipes-salt_roasting.html

this next one shows the best way to pack the salt on.....tho i did a even coat front to back
http://www.txbeef.org/recipe.php3?107971228

and some more
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._31136,00.html

http://www.familyoven.com/offsite?r_...Rock+Salt.aspx

http://www.jrenterprises.com/recmar00.html

you WILL need a hammer to break this crust........thats NO crap either.......true story........

i think if folks mite try this, they will be surprised

BigArm's smokin
That was the only packet of prime rib injecter and rub we had. If it is a winner we need to order more and have it before X-Mas !!!

You and cowgirl better saddle up and and spur those fillys if you plan on making it in time for supper !!!

At 4 hours the prime rib hit 150º so I pulled it from the smoker and let it sit tented in foil for a 1/2 hour. It continued cooking in its juices and hit 160º. Then I sliced our prime rib cuts.

Well my wife was very happy with the taste (it is very good !!!) so this is the method I will be smoking the two buffalo prime ribs for Christmas supper at the in-laws. I am glad a gave this recipe a test run, now I feel confident that I will not wreck X-Mas. Now just have to order more seasonings !!!

That looks great Marty. You da man.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
If you get a chance, try the liquid aujus concentrate from Johnnys fine foods. Its in a little white bottle, about 8 oz I think. I make it up and put it in the smoker for a few hrs, it is wonderful stuff.
smile.gif

BigArm's smokin
Since the first time you mentioned that Au Jus I forgot to tell you, that is what we always keep in the cupboard, good stuff !!! I just have to try smoking the au jus sometime; I think I will for the X-Mas dinner.....

Looks great Mossy!!! Have to talk to my friend and see if he can't get me one to try. He works in the restuant biz and may be able to get it cheaper for me.

Again very nice job
PDT_Armataz_01_40.gif

Update on the buffalo prime rib for X-mas at the in laws -
24 adults and 5 children under the age of 5 were there for X-mas dinner, 2 hams and the two 9 lb. buffalo prime ribs. At the end of the day there was plenty of ham left but barely enough prime rib scraps to even make a sandwich.

I received nothing but compliments on the prime rib, everyone was quite impressed with how it tasted. Two of the biggest compliments were one from my wifes aunt who said they would be purchasing a smoker after tasting the prime rib and the other was from my wifes uncle who is known as the local "smoke god"; he had so many questions for me on how I made it that I know for a fact he will be purchasing the prime rib injection and rub from Curleys. If anyone is thinking about how to make a prime rib, I highly suggest trying this method.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky