Start N Stop Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbono

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 19, 2012
North New Jersey Paramus
Hi All Would it be OK to start a 10 pound brisket, say for about 4 hrs, then refridge and finish off later?
I know I have to get IT over 140* in 4 hrs.
Any idea's or thoughts will be welcome
Thanks Dan

/ message

controls
progress.gif

Hi All Would it be OK to start a 10 pound brisket, say for about 4 hrs, then refridge and finish off later?
I know I have to get IT over 140* in 4 hrs.
Any idea's or thoughts will be welcome
Thanks Dan

/ message

controls
progress.gif
I have no idea, but I want this to pop up in my feed when somebody who knows about this answers.  I could see it going either way.

Hi Another thought on my brisket 5.5 flat, smoke the brisket for 2-4 hours  with pecan at 225, then into the oven at 225, foil at 150/160* till 190/ 200*. Check for done ness, tooth pick test..I'm thinking around 12 hrs total, so IF I put IT in the smoker at 6 am should be ready for dinner at 6 pm?

I also have 4.5 lb point to work with for Brunt Ends

Thanks Dan

PS Seems like a good plan to me.

Last edited:
Hi All Looks like NOT too many opinions on this one.OH well No problem , I'll just have to go with what I think is best.

Thanks Dan

Hi All Here are pics of the 4.5 point & 5.5 flat rubbed Texas BBQ Brisket #2,and back into the fridge, till tomorrow. The flat is nice and thick.
More pics tomorrow. I'm getting up early 6 am to start.
I wanna make sure they are ready for 6 pm dinner.
I also have some homemade Sweet Italian Sausage to smoke for lunch, along with some green peppers n onions.

Thanks Dan

Flat

Point

Hi All Well here goes .I started the point & flat at 8 pm last night, smoked till 12 pm, with 2 chucks of Pecan.
Temps 250/275 took the middle of the road, then into the oven, at 8 am this morning meat temps 195*, poked with a toothpick, nicely done.
I wrapped in parchment paper and put into the fridge, to be reheated later for dinner.
Cut the point up for BE, soo nice and juicy. The BE are in the oven cooking away.
More to come
Thanks Dan
http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums...oint N Flat/?action=view&current=DSC01548.jpg

http://s1148.photobucket.com/albums...oint N Flat/?action=view&current=DSC01554.jpg

/ message edit note

Hi All Well after reheating the brisket, the results were pretty much the same.Taste was great, slices pulled apart easily, texture was good, but still on the dry side.
All my 6 brisket have come out on the dry side.
My better half said IT was over cooked. I started the toothpick test at 190*, when it went in & out like butter thats when it was done.
Next time I'm smoking the a full packer, NO seperating the point from the flat before hand,also next time I'm going from the smoker to the cutting board. Let it rest then slice.
The Brunt ends were excellent!!!

Thanks Dan
Cold brisket taste really good
smile5.gif

/ message
controls
progress.gif

i would have taken the butt to atleast 160-165 before putting in the fridge. if you took it to 140-145 and fridge...you'd need to quickly get it up to temp the 2nd time you cook it.

Hi The meat temp was 200 before IT went into the fridge. I just heated up some brunt ends, they were really good,at least something good did come out of this smoke.

Thanks Dan

Some guys foil their briskets around IT 165 then finish their cook to desired final IT. A couple of times I have smoked packers to IT 165, drip pan underneath. Then I foiled the packer in the drip pan. Into the fridge overnight then reheated at work the next day.  They seem to be pretty good. Do you think you lose moisture using parchment rather than foil?

Hi The brisket was wrapped in the butcher paper wasn't too long. So far all my 6/7 briskets/packers have come out on the dry side.

They tatsed good and were tender, but the moisture was lacking. Brunt ends were awesome!!

Next time I'm using Arron Franklins method for brisket/packer.

Thanks Dan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky