• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JustinHildebrand

Original poster
Jun 10, 2022
Hey everyone, I'm just starting a Smoker build after coming across some 20" x 3/16" wall 316L stainless pipe at a friends shop. I'm roughly copying the franklin smoker design, with some tweaks to my liking. I know 3/16" is on the thin side for the pipe, but the thermal coefficient of stainless is 15 watts per kelvin per meter compared to steels 45. So comparing the insulating properties to a 1/4" steel chamber you still come out way ahead. I'm planning on getting all the plate parts cut from 1/4" 304SS.

20220608_193452.jpg
20220608_194035.jpg
Smoker 1.JPG
Smoker 2.JPG

I still need to add the venting to the door and a tray in front of the door. Also note the pipe under the cook chamber is for a signals smoke fan. Let me know what you guys think. THIS THING IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!

Great looking design and it should be a thing of beauty. Yes, stainless is better than carbon steel relative to thermal conductivity and corrosion.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but caution on a couple of fronts.

A controller/fan doesn't work well on a wood fired pit. It doesn't know how to keep a flame going. It works on temperature only and with wood you will get a smoldering fire (bad smoke). If you are intending to fire with charcoal, good idea.

My son has a 20" stainless offset, not as elegant as your design, and it gets very little use due to its small cross section and firebox size. These space limitations cause him to use a larger pit.

Hey everyone, I'm just starting a Smoker build after coming across some 20" x 3/16" wall 316L stainless pipe at a friends shop. I'm roughly copying the franklin smoker design, with some tweaks to my liking. I know 3/16" is on the thin side for the pipe, but the thermal coefficient of stainless is 15 watts per kelvin per meter compared to steels 45. So comparing the insulating properties to a 1/4" steel chamber you still come out way ahead. I'm planning on getting all the plate parts cut from 1/4" 304SS.

View attachment 634290View attachment 634291View attachment 634292View attachment 634293

I still need to add the venting to the door and a tray in front of the door. Also note the pipe under the cook chamber is for a signals smoke fan. Let me know what you guys think. THIS THING IS GOING TO BE AWESOME!!
I like this a lot! Wow this is going to be a very cool build. Watching for progress. Good luck.

Great looking design and it should be a thing of beauty. Yes, stainless is better than carbon steel relative to thermal conductivity and corrosion.

Not trying to rain on your parade, but caution on a couple of fronts.

A controller/fan doesn't work well on a wood fired pit. It doesn't know how to keep a flame going. It works on temperature only and with wood you will get a smoldering fire (bad smoke). If you are intending to fire with charcoal, good idea.

My son has a 20" stainless offset, not as elegant as your design, and it gets very little use due to its small cross section and firebox size. These space limitations cause him to use a larger pit.
Thanks for the advice. I was planning on using the fan to maintain temperature while keeping vents in the door open. I did notice that others aren't doing this, thought maybe give it a try as I already fan unit.

And if I could find larger diameter stainless pipe I would be making a larger unit.

Thanks for the advice. I was planning on using the fan to maintain temperature while keeping vents in the door open. I did notice that others aren't doing this, thought maybe give it a try as I already fan unit.
Justin, the port for the fan is a decent idea particularly if you choose to run lump charcoal as the fuel. It gives you the opportunity to cook for a couple of hours using splits and then swap to lump and the temp control. That way you tend fire for a couple of hours and then put it on automatic to finish.

I do this on a LSG offset and it works great.

Looks like it’s going to be a true statement piece for your patio! Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

Nice! Stainless... it sure would be nice to NEVER oil the outside of my firebox again.

It is possible to use a controller that does not use a fan [or in any way control fire management], but the idea is really geared toward someone that is building their own smoker because it uses a small custom stack on the firebox.

Good luck with your build!

Last edited:
Sorry for the massive wait. After clearing some of the honey do list I'm finally underway. The main tube is 3/16 stainless and all the flat parts are 1/4 stainless. After welding I'm planning on re burnishing the surface and do a quick pulsed reflow of the welds to really dial in the finish.
20230408_095233.jpg
Screenshot_20230215_110445_Instagram.jpg
20230408_095233.jpg
20230408_122242.jpg
20230408_132804.jpg
20230408_132922.jpg
20230408_141921.jpg

Man oh man so far your build is pure awesomeness!!! I'm in for the final product.

I managed to get a few things fabricated over the last few days. Can't wait to fire it up.

Attachments

• 20230429_202308.jpg
    20230429_202308.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 20230514_174656.jpg
    20230514_174656.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230514_221341.jpg
    20230514_221341.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230515_185101.jpg
    20230515_185101.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 47
Reactions: Apparition
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky