Squash soup from a guy that thinks squash should only be eaten if starving and no lizards or rats are around to have instead

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

agaffer

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Oct 2, 2020
North Carolina
My wife and I were skiing in Red Lodge Montana a few years ago and she had this disgusting (although I admit to not trying it) squash soup. Every time it turns cold she starts talking about soup and how she should make squash soup. YUK!

Well, I stumbled across this food blog, Greedy Girl Cooks. It is by a Jamaican woman that lives somewhere in America now. I love Jamaican food and would look at it now and then. I also love Indian Buttered Chicken and have tried unsuccessfully to find a recipe I like. They always seemed to have to much tomato in them. Greedy Girl has a Buttered Chicken that is perfect and easy. I started making it often and also started taking her blog more seriously.

Every fall she adds a pumpkin soup recipe to her blog. They call butternut squash pumpkins. I read the recipe and figured I would hate it but, sounded perfect for my wife. While making it I had to do tastings to adjust the spices. I went from holding my nose and just tasting about 1/8th of a teaspoon to tasting spoonfuls. Richest best tasting soup I have ever had. And simple.

Here it is. Hope someone else tries it and confirms how good it is. I think it is the perfect Thanksgiving dinner soup.

Pre-heat your oven to 450°
1 Butternut squash. peeled, seeded, and cubed and put in a bowel
Mince around 1/2 clove of garlic and put that in 2 Tablespoons of melted butter and pour over squash
Sprinkle on 1/2 teaspoons cumin and 1/2 teaspoons coriander powder
Sprinkle on some salt, whatever amount seems right to you
The recipe didn't call for it but, I added less than 1/4 teaspoon of curry powder
Spread onto a sheet pan and cook for 15 minutes
Throw it in a blender and start blending while adding 1 1/2 cup of coconut milk, milk not cream
Taste to see if you need more seasoning, I added a little more cumin and coriander
If you have a Vitamix blend until hot, otherwise warm it up in a pot
Sprinkle a little chopped cilantro on top and eat.

I've made a similar soup. I was surprised there were not more of the classic Curry Spices added. Then I saw You added some Curry Powder and I smiled. 😊. Good addition there...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky