Spit Roasted Eye Round And Sides For The Crafting Ladies (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Tracy hosted a small crafting party yesterday with some of her friends that's she's been doing craft stuff with for several years. She asked if I'd make a nice meal for everybody. Well, knowing how much I absolutely hate to cook, she made all sorts of vile threats before I gave in and agreed. If that wasn't bad enough, I was threatened with life and limb if I didn't take pics and post to the forum. Well, kicking and screaming, here goes.

Decided to do an Eye Round on the rotisserie over mesquite with the Santa Maria. Here is the roast defrosted and ready to prep
000.jpg

This is a 4# roast and totally different than what I'm used to. All of them in the past have been small in diameter, long, and tapered on one end. This one is enormous in girth (3x as thick as others), shorter, and no taper
001.jpg

Got a fire going on the SM
002.jpg

Roast on. Seasoned with a bit of Worcestershire and my ultra super secret beef spice. I'm not very good at keeping secrets so ask if you want :emoji_wink:
003.jpg

Prepping some corn on the cob
004.jpg

Mixing up a big batch of garlic butter
005.jpg

Roast about an hour and a half into cooking
006.jpg

Meat is all done earlier than anticipated. Took it off, double wrapped it, and put in the oven at 132* to keep warm till ready to slice
007.jpg

Lower the grate and put the corn on
023.jpg

Some of the crafting ladies cooling off while their projects dry
010.jpg

Made a really nice salad
008.jpg

Fresh French bread sliced, heavily coated with the garlic butter, and topped with a generous dose of grated Parmesan cheese
012.jpg

Bread and pineapple chunks on the grill
013.jpg

Bread done so turned off the burner and it'll keep warm with the heat from the burner going under the pineapple
014.jpg

Pineapple coming along beautifully
015.jpg

Roast all sliced and ready to serve. I also put together some homemade Au Jus for dipping the meat into. It was outstanding and a fantastic compliment to the roast
016.jpg

Dinner spread all laid out. A couple of pics. The Au Jus is in the pan between the pineapple and the bread. Notice how the dog keeps showing up in pics where the food is?
018.jpg

019.jpg

Mandatory money shot. Got the roast, pineapple, bread, Au Jus, Corn, and Salad
021.jpg

This meal came out really, really well. The roast was a bit more done than I'd prefer to have it but the ladies asked for it this way. It still had enough pink to make me happy though. I've made no secrets recently that I feel the Certified Piedmontese Beef is the best in the world. Certainly by far the best I've ever eaten, and I've eaten a bunch of it!!. Well, their Dynasty Selection is the best of the best and this Eye Round proved it in my book. So tender and a flavor that is indescribable. Couple the amazing flavor of that meat with the homemade Au Jus and it was a match made in heaven. Every single one of the ladies asked for the recipe for the Au Jus. The bread was also a superb accompaniment to the meal. Beautiful butter and garlic flavor with the Parmesan on top....WOW!!. It was just lightly crusted on the bottom and a light melt of the cheese on top. MMMM MMMM good. My "dessert" was another piece of bread dunked into the Au Jus. We have become huge fans of grilling pineapple. It just has such a great flavor with the char and the sweet combined. Corn on the cob....how can you go wrong?? Of course, we also love salads and when it's in triple digit temps, the cool element is always welcomed. All in all, a fantastic meal that was enjoyed by everybody.

Well, I gotta go get the boat hooked up and prepare for a trip to the lake. Thanks for dropping in and have a great holiday everybody!! We only plan to be out for a couple hours so I may do something else this evening worth sharing....but then again, I may just take the day off :emoji_laughing:

Battening down the hatches,
Robert

Wow Robert everything looks delicious! I may have to take up crafting to get a meal like that, lol!

Eye of round is a seriously underrated cut, especially if prepared right...you nailed it. When I buy some for jerky, I’ll have to set one aside for pit beef.

Gorgeous meal as usual Robert.
The roast was a bit more done than I'd prefer to have it but the ladies asked for it this way. It still had enough pink to make me happy though.
I saw the first sliced pic and thought -dang,he over cooked it!-then a split second later thought-oh he's cooking for a group of ladies.Made to order:emoji_thumbsup:

My only critique would be to use a cutting board with a trough. One of my guilty pleasures is soaking up the blood-juices from said trough with a piece of bread and I see juices dangerously close to the edge.

Reactions: xray
"Wow Robert everything looks delicious! I may have to take up crafting to get a meal like that, lol!"

Thank you for the kind words. Not a problem at all. You're welcome to the crafting parties any time you'd like but I'll give you two options:

1) Wear a bikini while crafting and spending time in the pool. You can eat for free.

2) Help me cook and you can eat for free. This turned out to be a much more involved meal than I originally anticipated. It was just going to be roast, salad, and corn but kinda expanded from there.

"Eye of round is a seriously underrated cut, especially if prepared right...you nailed it. When I buy some for jerky, I’ll have to set one aside for pit beef."

I agree 100% but you're correct that it needs to be properly prepared. I've had some that was pretty horrible that was cooked by others. This is the second one I've done on the rotisserie and both have been superb.

Robert

Reactions: xray
"Fantastic cook Robert.

Nice job!

"

Appreciate the accolades and the LIKE. them ribs you did yesterday looked pretty damned good too!!

Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
"Gorgeous meal as usual Robert."

Appreciate it!! I thoroughly enjoy putting together good meals that also look appealing. If it looks good, you've won half the battle :emoji_wink:

"I saw the first sliced pic and thought -dang,he over cooked it!-then a split second later thought-oh he's cooking for a group of ladies.Made to order:emoji_thumbsup:"

Yep....I know what you mean. My preference would have been to pull them 4 to 5 degrees sooner. The sirloin roasts I did for the Cen Tex event were much more to my liking but had to make the ladies happy for this one.

Chivalry is not totally dead,
Robert

"My only critique would be to use a cutting board with a trough. One of my guilty pleasures is soaking up the blood-juices from said trough with a piece of bread and I see juices dangerously close to the edge."

Good point but there is an aspect that I didn't note. The roast was wrapped in foil and put in the oven to keep warm while the rest of the meal was cooking. there was about a half gallon on that lovely juice in the foil when removed from the oven. that juice went into the Au Jus and I did exactly as you said: soaked it up with bread. Believe me, I did not miss out on that!! :emoji_wink:

Forever the juice fiend,
Robert

Reactions: S-met
"Marvellous meal, mate! Big like!"

Thank you Disco!! Coming from you sir, that's as high an honor as I could ask for. Next on the agenda is some Disco style bacon. Making breakfast yesterday I noticed that we are down to less than 10#....and that's a tragedy!!

Now where did I put that pork belly??
Robert

"Fantastic cook Robert.

Nice job!

"

Appreciate the accolades and the LIKE. them ribs you did yesterday looked pretty damned good too!!

Robert

Thanks Robert!

I have never cooked ribs that tender before, used the 3-2-1 method with Jeff's rub. And added Jeff's sauce at the end.

Sorry I did not get pics of the whole cook, but I could not resist getting a picture of the ribs without the bones. :emoji_laughing:

IMG_20190831_185012331.jpg

You can see the half rack (on the right with the missing bones). Boy they pulled out just by grabbing the end and pulling gently, unbelievable! And the bones where clean as a whistle.

Not sure what happened to the half rack on the left....I think the chef had to taste test the end product before serving. :emoji_astonished:

John

Reactions: tx smoker
"How's that saying go? "If Mama's happy, you're getting some." LOL.
Like"

Very much appreciate the accolades and the like Chile. I just wish somebody had told her the part about me supposed to be getting some. All I seem to get is more requests for different meals :emoji_wink:

Side note: Tracy made a request for me to create something Mexican with some of the tenderloin beef tips I have in the freezer. I've never been very adept at creating Mexican food (read: horrible) so spent about 3 hours this morning reading through your menu index to get some ideas. I put together a recipe that looks really good...on paper at least. Got some Mexican chili spices being delivered tomorrow and I'm gonna give it a shot probably Thursday. Hope it comes out well as we both LOVE Mexican food but for some reason I've just never gotten the knack for making the stuff. Hopefully this will be the catalyst for future meals. The plan is to make Bistec A La Mexicana.

Wish me luck!!
Robert

"Excellent Eye Round, Robert!!
Beautiful !!
Nice Job!
Like"

Thank you Bear!! I just wish I hadn't had to torch the roast to make the ladies happy. Oh well, next one is for me and the guys and will be done a bit more to our liking.

Cooking that one did give me an inspiration to try something totally different this weekend. We are having a couple families over so the kids can spend the day in the pool. I'm gonna do a marinated pepper crusted smoked sirloin roast for the adults to play with. Won't be enough for dinner (hot dogs and hamburgers on the menu) but it'll be a trial run for something I've never done before. It's gonna be done Bear style though, I promise you that!! If it comes out as well as I think it will, you'll see it next weekend.

Fingers X'ed,
Robert

"I have never cooked ribs that tender before, used the 3-2-1 method with Jeff's rub. And added Jeff's sauce at the end."

Good looking stuff John!!

John and I spent quite a bit of time bouncing text messages back and forth with pictures of the progress of our respective cooks. That was fun!! God I love this forum!!

Robert

"Wow Robert everything looks delicious! I may have to take up crafting to get a meal like that, lol!"

Thank you for the kind words. Not a problem at all. You're welcome to the crafting parties any time you'd like but I'll give you two options:

1) Wear a bikini while crafting and spending time in the pool. You can eat for free.

2) Help me cook and you can eat for free. This turned out to be a much more involved meal than I originally anticipated. It was just going to be roast, salad, and corn but kinda expanded from there.

"Eye of round is a seriously underrated cut, especially if prepared right...you nailed it. When I buy some for jerky, I’ll have to set one aside for pit beef."

I agree 100% but you're correct that it needs to be properly prepared. I've had some that was pretty horrible that was cooked by others. This is the second one I've done on the rotisserie and both have been superb.

Robert

Or I’ll just wear a bikini while cooking! If you value your eyesight, you’ll throw me extra food to cover up, lol!

"Or I’ll just wear a bikini while cooking! If you value your eyesight, you’ll throw me extra food to cover up, lol!"

Based on your commentary, it sounds like we could save a lot of food if you wear a bikini. Everybody would lose their appetite :emoji_anguished:

Hey....need a favor please. Can you direct me to those three salads that you posted in a different thread? I can't find it, don't remember which thread they were in, and my alerts don't go back that far. I wanna do that steak salad tonight that you posted with some of the leftover roast from this meal.

Here's hoping,
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky