Spare ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pc farmer

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Feb 17, 2013
Central Pa
I got a camp chef dlx24 for 15 years of service at work yesterday. Also got miron Mixon peach blend pellets, bear claws and some gloves. Couldn't wait to try it tonight.

Spare ribs from my pig last year. They don't have much meat cause most of the meat went to the bacons. New seasoning I tried, from rural king. Very good but the way. Sauced about 20 minutes before I pulled them. Then in foil for about 20 minutes to rest. I like some pull to my ribs and these were very good. Maybe another 15 or 20 mins could have been better. 300 for 3 hours. Hot and fast. Now for the pics.

IMG_20230210_074548193.jpg

IMG_20230211_180655023.jpg

IMG_20230211_182416706.jpg

IMG_20230211_211247704.jpg

IMG_20230211_214924751.jpg

IMG_20230211_215744697.jpg

Even at 300 I got a bit of a smoke ring. This was a test for tomorrow. My son wants ribs, I have baby backs to cook for him and I. I will slow the cook down tomorrow and take more time for him.

Looks spot on to me! Congrats on the new smoker and 15 years Adam!

Thanks Jake. Spot on , no. Very good yes. For the first cook and I went hot and fast, I am happy. 15 years is a long time. The dealership just opened when I got hired. I am one of og techs. Lol. Only 2 of us been there that long

They look delicious, Adam. And congrats on the new CC.

Thanks Doug. Wife is working nights this weekend, she wants a brisket next weekend. Gezz

Reactions: DougE
Thanks Doug. Wife is working nights this weekend, she wants a brisket next weekend. Gezz
Let it chug along on low smoke awhile to get some good smoke on it, then finish hot and fast. It definitely won't be stick burner quality off a pellet grill, but you can turn out some respectable Q on them.

Let it chug along on low smoke awhile to get some good smoke on it, then finish hot and fast. It definitely won't be stick burner quality off a pellet grill, but you can turn out some respectable Q on them.

I played around with the smoke settings tonight and I could taste the smoke.

Reactions: DougE
I run it on 10 mostly, and yes you definitely get smoke flavor. Maybe less intense than from splits, but depending on what you're cooking, and personal tastes, not always a bad thing. Pellet brands make a difference, too. Lumberjack and Kingsford are my top 2 for flavor.

Reactions: pc farmer
Congrats on the 15 yr. anniversary Adam, and those ribs look fantastic. I'm pushing 25 yrs and just survived a layoff that hit a friend of mine who had 42 yrs. Longevity is getting tougher.

Point for sure
Chris

Last edited:
Congrats on the Pellet smoker and some recognition from your employer .
Those ribs look pretty good to me too . Be careful , that pellet smoker just might spoil you . Post up the BB and the brisket when you get to it .

I am one of og techs. Lol. Only 2 of us been there that long
I worked as a Mechanic before I got in the Carpenters . About 50% of tune ups had points and a condenser . Feeler gauge and timing light . Lol . The title of tech is well deserved for this day and age .
We were introduced to the first computer controlled cars in the mid 80's . What a nightmare .

Reactions: sawhorseray
Congrats on the new smoker and time spent at the dealership... ribs look good! Looks like my trim job as well!

Ryan

Nice cook Adam… ribs look real tasty… Congrats on your tenure and gift…

Congrats on the 15 yr. anniversary Adam, and those ribs look fantastic. I'm pushing 28 yrs and just survived a layoff that hit a friend of mine who had 42 yrs. Longevity is getting tougher.

Point for sure
Chris

Nice break-in cook, Adam, the ribs look good to me.

Nice gift. All I got for 15 years was a reminder to be in 30 minutes early the next day for a maintenance outage...:emoji_laughing:

Congrats on the Pellet smoker and some recognition from your employer .
Those ribs look pretty good to me too . Be careful , that pellet smoker just might spoil you . Post up the BB and the brisket when you get to it .

I worked as a Mechanic before I got in the Carpenters . About 50% of tune ups had points and a condenser . Feeler gauge and timing light . Lol . The title of tech is well deserved for this day and age .
We were introduced to the first computer controlled cars in the mid 80's . What a nightmare .

Looks like your test went great, ribs look excellent

Congrats on the new smoker and time spent at the dealership... ribs look good! Looks like my trim job as well!

Ryan

Thanks everyone. Gonna get a earlier start today.

Nice cook Adam! Congrats on the new toy...your employer must appreciate you pretty good! I worked for my last district (public school administrator) for 22 years. When I retired, I got a thank you card...

Red

YEAP! Looks good for sure.
And congratulations on your 15 yrs! For my 15 yrs of service (city employee) I got a Case pocket knife and a lapel pin.
You did good with getting that pellet pooper.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky