Sous vide half chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Okay I decided to sv a couple chicken halves I got from one of my local farmer buddies. Thank you Motz! Great chicken as always.

Having never done this before I was going in pretty blind. I usually do breasts at 140 and quarters at 150. I decided on 150 for the halves. No real set time. I believe I pulled them just shy of 6 hours.

C563C537-EC2B-45A9-A8E5-2A5C07117C23.jpeg

Got the cooler full and dropped the sv in.

ECA8003A-BCCB-4619-BE29-033D890B714D.jpeg

Habenero/pineapple glazed chicken half.

532101F4-8231-4E31-A5C2-FFD231E84F95.jpeg

Seasoned, sriracha, and Q sauced chicken half.

B1A2C23B-422F-491B-8222-2ABAB52AEFAC.jpeg

Here’s the pineapple half pulled out of the bag after 6ish hours. Quarter ripped right off when trying to take it out.

5A33DB1A-67D5-4CDB-ACE6-48921B3DC15B.jpeg

Shot of both halves ready to go into the over to dry out the skin.

E186BCC7-73BA-49C6-B222-E1674410398B.jpeg

Shot of Side fixin’s and of course Scout has the best seat in the house. Would you expect anything less at Wonder Dog Ranch?

3B352C2C-BC91-44E0-80F8-6510329A02FF.jpeg

Shot of the Q’d breast portion.

54BB0CD1-F4F1-4E29-80DE-C938F3776383.jpeg

Perfect chicken quarter after sv, and baked.

EFEEB654-7BF4-4F3A-AFC0-396EC4609752.jpeg

The breast meat was dynamite! Tough to tell from pic but it was as tender as any breast meat I’ve ever made or had.

Over all this was a great success. Didn’t get to try any of the habo chicken. Wife grabbed that one up quick. She said it was great.

After drying out the skin on the chicken for about 10 minutes at 450 I reglazed each half with the sauce’s I bagged them with and put them back in for 5 more minutes. Skin was awesome!

Thanks for looking.

Scott

Nice job on the chicken, Scott.

Point for sure.

Chris

That is one good looking piece of chicken, Scott
Great job & congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Thanks Chris & Al. Have to love the ease & results from the sv. Great way to cook when it’s April and still in the 20’s & 30’s here in Michigan. Lol.

Scott

Scott, really nice looking chicken! I use my Anova primitively for cooking stakes (best stakes I ever made) and pouching sausages but always wanted to try cooking chicken and salmon. Your post did encouraged me and now I do have a plan for this weekend!

Great results! I gotta try a chicken!! Maybe even just quarters....that one looks good.

Thanks for sharing.

Forkin,

I have an anova Bluetooth 800 watt sv, and a joule WiFi/Bluetooth 1100 watt sv.

My anova started to malfunction right before st paddy’s day and I was planing on doing 3 corned beef flats so I was in a pinch. Had to buy a new one as the other sv I was sending back to anova wouldn’t be back in time.

I went with the joule because it’s 1100 watts and heats a larger amount of water than the 800 watt anova. I tend to cook for a lot of people so it made sense.

With that being said my anova does a great job. The customer service was great they sent me a label and I sent it back to them. Once they received it they sent me a brand new one in the retail box. Can’t say enough about the customer service anova has. Another thing I like about the anova over the joule is it has buttons and a display screen on it. With the joule you have to use the app on your phone to cook. I don’t like that and I’m sure that’s another step closer to me becoming the “hey kids get off my lawn guy” lol. It’s nice to be able to not pull out the phone every time you sv.

The joule is a smaller unit and more powerful. It takes up less room in the container your using and it heats more water. So basically figure out what you need and go get one based of this info. Lol!

Good luck
Scott

Link,

I had to try something new. The sv is lights out for perfect steaks every time but like anything else new toys get old. I had set mine aside late last year for a while. Needed to try something different. I’m happy to say it came out great. Give this a try it was great!

Scott

Normonster,

Thanks I appreciate it. I’ve done dozens of quarters and they come out great! I’ve done them with dry rubs, hot sauce, bbq sauce, etc... always come out perfect! Give them a try and make sure to post some pics!

Scott

Pushok,

Thanks! Salmon is lights out in the sous vide and then in a hot skillet for a minute or two! Took me a few times to find the temp I liked but now we do salmon in it very often!

I’ve used the sous vide to finish goose snacksticks and venison summer sausage. Works great! Might only do it that way from now on!

Good luck with your weekend chicken! 150 for 6ish hours worked great for me. Make sure to share some pics!

Scott

Hey, Scott! I wish I knew how to share pics on this forum. Do you use an external host (website) for uploading pics and then linking them to posts? If so, their service free or you have pay annual fee?

Pushok,

No at the bottom under post reply it says upload file. Hit that and you can use pics.

Hope this helps

Scott

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky