Sous Vide Burgers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NewBuilder

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jun 15, 2019
A simple tip for making sous vide burgers. Season the meat based on weight. We add 1.25% salt and .25% pepper to the meat before making the patties. You have to mix the meat more which changes the consistency a little but the results are always consistent.

Reactions: JLeonard
I have looked into SV burgers, but have not tried to do it yet.

How do you sear it - in a skillet or grill?

I'd like to get a portable propane grill so that I can heat it up quickly and sear the burger after I SV it.

I'd like to get a portable propane grill so that I can heat it up quickly and sear the burger after I SV it.
If you aren't doing too many, a screaming hot charcoal chimney with a grate thrown over top does a nice sear. I sometimes do steaks and chops that way.

Reactions: NewBuilder
Thanks for the reply and idea, DougE DougE .

I do have a hibachi grill that I have yet to use after I've SV burgers.
My thought is that, for what I've noticed, it takes awhile for the charcoal to heat up and I'd only need it for ~5 minutes.

I use a propane torch when I only have a couple to do. A branding iron make some nice grill marks also.

A simple tip for making sous vide burgers. Season the meat based on weight. We add 1.25% salt and .25% pepper to the meat before making the patties. You have to mix the meat more which changes the consistency a little but the results are always consistent.
Just curious. Is there any advantage to SV'ing burgers?

Chris

Reactions: dr k
> Just curious. Is there any advantage to SV'ing burgers?

Just like any SV food - you can cook multiple patties at once and they'll all be equally cooked to your chosen temp.

Reactions: JLeonard

Chris
I was wonderng about this as well since thawed 1/4-1/3 lbrs take 3 min per side and frozen patties 6 min per side. I seem to do tougher cuts SV like a chuck roast 48 hours for poor man's prime rib and save the tender cuts for grilling.

Reactions: jcam222

Chris
I was always overcooking my burgers and drying them out. With SV, I'm able to cook them with consistent results.

Same immediate question I had. I'm always up for experimenting though. I may give some 3/4 pounders a try like this.
It will work well, just don't over vac the pouch if using a vacuum sealer, just do it enough to take most of the air out.

Reactions: zwiller and jcam222
I was always overcooking my burgers and drying them out. With SV, I'm able to cook them with consistent results.
I guess following the pasteurization chart of SV temp and thickness of the burger would be safe and good for those that like med rare burgers 130+ since you incubate below 130 not pasteurize.
Pasteurization Time for Meat (Beef, Pork, and Lamb)
(starting at 41°F / 5°C and put in a 131–151°F / 55–66°C water bath)
55°C56°C57°C58°C59°C60°C
Thickness131°F133°F134.5°F136.5°F138°F140°F
5 mm2 hr1¼ hr60 min45 min40 min30 min
10 mm2 hr1½ hr1¼ hr55 min45 min40 min
15 mm2¼ hr1¾ hr1½ hr1¼ hr60 min55 min
20 mm2½ hr2 hr1¾ hr1½ hr1¼ hr1¼ hr
25 mm2¾ hr2¼ hr2 hr1¾ hr1½ hr1½ hr
30 mm3 hr2½ hr2 hr2 hr1¾ hr1½ hr
35 mm3¼ hr2¾ hr2¼ hr2 hr2 hr1¾ hr
40 mm3½ hr3 hr2½ hr2¼ hr2¼ hr2 hr
45 mm4 hr3¼ hr3 hr2¾ hr2½ hr2¼ hr
50 mm4½ hr3¾ hr3¼ hr3 hr2¾ hr2½ hr
55 mm5 hr4¼ hr3¾ hr3½ hr3 hr3 hr
60 mm5¼ hr4¾ hr4¼ hr3¾ hr3½ hr3¼ hr
65 mm6 hr5¼ hr4¾ hr4¼ hr4 hr3¾ hr
70 mm6½ hr5¾ hr5¼ hr4¾ hr4¼ hr4 hr
61°C62°C63°C64°C65°C66°C
Thickness142°F143.5°F145.5°F147°F149°F151°F
5 mm25 min25 min18 min16 min14 min13 min
10 mm35 min30 min30 min25 min25 min25 min
15 mm50 min45 min40 min40 min35 min35 min
20 mm60 min55 min55 min50 min45 min45 min
25 mm1¼ hr1¼ hr1¼ hr60 min55 min55 min
30 mm1½ hr1½ hr1¼ hr1¼ hr1¼ hr1¼ hr
35 mm1¾ hr1½ hr1½ hr1½ hr1¼ hr1¼ hr
40 mm1¾ hr1¾ hr1¾ hr1½ hr1½ hr1½ hr
45 mm2¼ hr2 hr2 hr1¾ hr1¾ hr1¾ hr
50 mm2½ hr2¼ hr2¼ hr2 hr2 hr2 hr
55 mm2¾ hr2¾ hr2½ hr2½ hr2¼ hr2¼ hr
60 mm3 hr3 hr2¾ hr2¾ hr2½ hr2½ hr
65 mm3½ hr3¼ hr3¼ hr3 hr3 hr2¾ hr
70 mm3¾ hr3¾ hr3½ hr3¼ hr3¼ hr3¼ hr
Table 5.1: Time required to reduce Listeria by at least a million to one, Salmonella by at least three million to one, and E. coli by at least a hundred thousand to one in thawed meat starting at 41°F (5°C). I

Reactions: NewBuilder

Chris
For me... moistness and adding more flavors are advantages. Cooking between 230° and 240° is my target range.

To keep a better texture and shape, I prefer the displacement method over vacuum sealing unless your form your patties and partially freeze them.

With SV the flavors in the bag stay in the bag, and in addition to dry seasonings, one thing I like to do for burgers is to paint on (or inject) a layer of products like Minor's AuJus Prep, Worcestershire, Head Country Marinade, etc. Sometimes by themselves, other times a mix. This is a sirloin steak I'm prepping for SV, but you get the general idea. This really bumps the 'beefiness' of a burger.
NSTCs4c.jpg

XC2KWZY.jpg

Reactions: gmc2003
For me... moistness and adding more flavors are advantages. Cooking between 230° and 240° is my target range.

To keep a better texture and shape, I prefer the displacement method over vacuum sealing unless your form your patties and partially freeze them.

With SV the flavors in the bag stay in the bag, and in addition to dry seasonings, one thing I like to do for burgers is to paint on (or inject) a layer of products like Minor's AuJus Prep, Worcestershire, Head Country Marinade, etc. Sometimes by themselves, other times a mix. This is a sirloin steak I'm prepping for SV, but you get the general idea. This really bumps the 'beefiness' of a burger.
View attachment 669341
View attachment 669342
I use the Minors stock concentrates a lot. What is that prep product? I am definitely gonna mg to give this a go with 10 oz Wagyu patties I think 🤔

Last edited:
I use the Minors stock concentrates a lot. What is that prep product? I am definitely gonna mg to give this a go with 10 oz Wagyu patties I think 🤔
A similar product also comes in the tubs in paste form, but I like the premixed version because it's so handy and you have less waste. I use only a few dribbles onto a steak or roast and use the back of a spoon to coat the surface. The ratio for making AuJus (or an injection) is 1-tablespoon to 1-cup of water, and it's super easy to adjust for your personal taste. Other examples would be using as a binder for rubs, one or two drops in a bloody Mary, a 1/4 teaspoon on a topless onion before baking or smoking. Here is the Head Country marinade I mentioned.
K0bYIXN.jpg

Same immediate question I had. I'm always up for experimenting though. I may give some 3/4 pounders a try like this.
Been playing with this but not got it perfected. I think SV is GREAT for large 12-16oz "pub" style burgers. So far my fave is adding water, salt, STPP, and MSG. That Au Jus Prep is good stuff. I have on hand. Restaurant grade au jus. Screaming hot sear a must. I actually SV days in advance.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky