Snack Stick long term storage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ihocky2

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Lehigh Valley, Pa.
I ran my first batches of venison snack sticks and pepperoni sticks this weekend. They've been in the fridge in a paper bag for at least 24 hours and I am pretty happy with them, though have some places to improve. I am ready to cut these up and package them for storage. What is the best way to store these for more than a week or two? I am thinking about keeping some in a ziplock for immediate use in the fridge. The rest I was going to vacuum seal and freeze, but I've done this with ones from the butcher before and they are never the same after freezing. The texture gets kind of mushy and the flavor doesn't hold up. Is there a better way to store for anywhere from 3-9 months?

I've vac packed and frozen mine before. But I defrost them out of the vacuum sealed bag. This seems to not hold in any condensation from thawing out.

Reactions: TNJAKE
Thanks Steve. I'll give that a try.

What is the best way for short term storage in the fridge? Vacuum seal, ziplock? How long can I expect them to stay good in the fridge?

I keep a small supply in the fridge. Enough that I think I'll eat in a week. For this. Either a vacuum sealed bag or zip lock will do. I tend to use just zip lock for that. I've had them in a zip lock bag for a few weeks with no problem.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky