Smoking pellet flavor

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

raymond-grnmtn

Original poster
Jan 29, 2017
I've had a pellet smoker for a little over a year and I've got the hang of it but... I find that while my meats taste good and have the right texture, I'm not getting a rich smokey flavor. I have been using blends by Camp Chef, CookinPellets, et. al. and I'm looking for advice on flavorful pellets. I like the taste of Mesquite, Cherry, Hickory the most but I'm open to anything.

What kind of smoker, or are you GRILLING with pellets such as with a Treager that is using the pellet for heating BTU's as well as smoking?

Im going to read between your lines and say you are using a pellet grill. This here is typical of pellet poopers- lack of flavor. You can augment the smoke by adding a a tube smoker or tray from A-Maze-N.

Yup. Its not just the pellets fault, but that does have a lot to do with it. You see those Grills are using the pellets for heat as well as flavor, so its not really just a smoker but a GRILL. You are going to get much better flavors at lower burning (smoldering) temperatures of 100% flavored wood. You can do this by using your GMG as you are, but add a cold smoke generator inside for additional smoke. I would suggest trying a tube smoker for your pellet grill and some 100% flavored pellets of your choice.
Check out: http://www.amazenproducts.com/

Todd from Amazen is a member here and a sponsor of this site. But I'm not just saying this for any other reason than I am a believer! Changed my smoking world, actually...

Try 100% hickory and if that doesn't help get the tube smoker. I use Lumberjack 100% hickory and have been satisfied with the flavor on pork, chicken and shrimp. For briskets I use a pecan/oak blend with good results.

With that said, it's not an aggressive smoke flavor like you can get from a charcoal or stick burner. Smoke flavor preference varies by person as well. I used a Masterbuilt electric prior to getting my RecTec and I never liked the smoke flavor produced by it. It was prominent but to me it was bitter and harsh.

My favorite was the Weber charcoal smoker. Great flavor but too much work for me. The pellet smoker is a happy medium IMO.

I have the GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker, and have really had a hard time finding 'pure' 100% pellets here in the Phoenix Arizona area. I find Traeger pellets most anywhere I turn, but they seem to be pretty much flavored woods. My favorite woods are Applewood, Hickory and or Pecan, and Mesquite. Has anyone found and liked a pure pellet in these flavors especially around Phoenix?

I have the GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker, and have really had a hard time finding 'pure' 100% pellets here in the Phoenix Arizona area. I find Traeger pellets most anywhere I turn, but they seem to be pretty much flavored woods. My favorite woods are Applewood, Hickory and or Pecan, and Mesquite. Has anyone found and liked a pure pellet in these flavors especially around Phoenix?

Contact BBQPelletsOnline and they will help put a group buy together for LumberJack pellets for you.

Contact BBQPelletsOnline and they will help put a group buy together for LumberJack pellets for you.

Thanks for the suggestion. I may take a look at that option. My problem is that dont use the smoker that often (just my wife and I) and I have a stock of ‘blended’ pellets that I am not overly fond of - but hate throwing them out. I went to the Web site and noticed I can buy one each of the pure Mesquite, Applewood, and Pecan - a bit pricey at $75 with free shipping. That is enough to last me quite a while. Anyway, I’ll take a look at exactly what I have and decide how to proceed. Thanks again.

Sportsman's Warehouse has Camp Chef pellets & GMG Blended pellets. Cabela's has their own brand and they say they are 100% true to species. Walmart, Ace Hardware, CAL Ranch and Tractor Supply might also be worth a look or phone call. I use Pit Boss Competition (MHC) for cooking in my GMG and the pure species woods for cold smoking. Amazon occasionally has a good deal on CookinPellets hickory. We are far from the hardwood forest and our choices are limited.
HTH

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky