Smoking My First Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'll let others more expert than I am correct what I am about to say and take no umbrage from their input.

From what I understand, the 205°F IT target is the optimum for moisture content and tenderness. It's what I try to achieve on each butt I've done, but things don't always turn out as planned. I've taken them off at lower temps (as low as 190°F IT) and had great pulled pork. What I've learned is that it's easy to be compulsive about maintaining CC temps close to 225° and reaching 205° IT before pulling, but you can be very successful without achieving that state of nirvana. Rest assured that you will get better with each one because you will be learning your smoker and your overall process. So, pay attention, relax and enjoy the process and the product

HTH

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky