Smoking elk tri-tip for the first time...and it's gotta be well done??

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mdbannister

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 5, 2017
I've got a 2.6 lb. elk tri-tip that I'm planning to smoke. This will be my first time smoking elk or tri-tip, and to complicate matters even further my family won't eat meat if it's still red/pink (I know...I know...). But...I have a plan...

From what I'm seeing elk isn't too complicated to smoke, so as long as it's done low and slow, I think I'll be fine? I'm also thinking that if I use a good marinade, maybe I can get it close to well done without drying it out.

My plan:

1) Marinate with a beer marinade overnight (I read that going 2 days will lose the gamey flavor, but that's actually part of what I like about game, so I'm thinking 1 day is good?).

2) smoke at 225 in my MES until internal is at 150.

3) pull and sear in cast iron skillet (with some butter) to IT of 160.

4) rest for a few minutes then serve

Does this sound like a good plan?

Reactions: kruizer
I will let other chime in on the elk but even beef tri tip is gonna get tough unless pink. If I ever get some elk or other wild game I would make pastrami from it so that is my suggestion for you. My wife is the same way about meat but went crazy over my pastrami.

I am far from expert of game but it is my understanding that elk should be med rare. It is very lean meat and will dry out. I just did a elk round roast and there was no fat in it. I did it in a stew and it was great well done, but that is braised
Hopefully some others who actually know what they're talking about chime in.

Reactions: mdbannister
Go to your local McDonald's or Wendy's and get some gift cards for the family and then cook that elk to rare or medium rare as the Gods of Meat intended it. Problem solved. :emoji_laughing:

Reactions: BC Buck
Haha! Thanks for the pushback, guys. Unfortunately, I'm gonna have to cook this for the family, so I've gotta try to figure out some way to do this. I'm wondering if brining instead of marinating might work for added juice. I can still brine with beer, so maybe that's an idea? I can do injecting too...so may try that. Ugh...

I did think maybe if I pull it sooner than 150 (maybe around 140-145??) and try cooking to medium well...? I dunno...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky