Smoking Brisket, lost fire.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

waik87

Original poster
Sep 2, 2023
Smoker had been mostly at 200 until 1:30 am when it was bumped to 225. My brisket got to a peak temp of 143.6 at 2:40 am, which around that time, my smoker lost it's fire. IT went down to 140 at 3:00 but I didn't know this was happening until 4:00 with the IT at 120. Got smoker going again at 225 and it reached IT 140 at 6:20. No injection, but probed earlier. Considering the 3.5 hr window that it was below 140, is it alright to serve if the rest of cooking goes as planned.

You are mostly concerned with getting the surface of the brisket >140°, which you did. Getting the internal temp >140° is also a good thing. I see no problem with the temperature dip.

When you noticed the internal temp was at 120°, a good procedure is to scoop it off the smoker and put into a 300° oven. Then carefully diagnose the problem with your fire and get the pit back up to your target temp. Then rotate the meat back to the pit.

Welcome to smoking briskies overnight.. If you need to nap, put a few splits on the downhill side of the fire. It won't hurt to let the temps rise up to 280 - 300 degrees for a little while. Just remember to get back up and be ready to explain why your tipping a beer at 0445.

As mentioned you're good. Unfortunately, this is yet another case where having a reporting thermometer would have signaled that the temp was below where it should have been. Please folks, if you are going to smoke overnight get a wireless thermometer that can monitor both grate and IT plus set off an alarm by your bed if something goes awry. Oh, and make sure the batteries are fully charged. :emoji_wink:

Reactions: dr k and indaswamp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky