Fire went out during overnight brisket smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rominger

Original poster
Oct 8, 2023
My brisket reached 140 in 4 hours. Once it reached 140, I went to bed. At 4am I went out to hopefully pull it off and wrap it and noticed that the grill was cold. I checked my phone and the IT was 68f. The temp started dropping immediately after the IT reached 140. I got the grill fired back up and started the smoking again. Is it safe to eat? It was 40 degrees last night. No injection.
IMG_5097.png

Last edited:
Well, Al covered ya on the cooking. In the future I would bet whatever temp monitor you are using has an alarm for low snd high temps, I’ve been saved by both in the past. Glad the brisket is still edible 👍

Reactions: Rominger
Well, Al covered ya on the cooking. In the future I would bet whatever temp monitor you are using has an alarm for low snd high temps, I’ve been saved by both in the past. Glad the brisket is still edible 👍
I will definitely set an alarm for that.

Oh thank goodness. Hopefully it still turns out tender and juicy.
So, how did it end up turning out?

When I first started out I had something different happen to me on a brisket cook while checking out for a nap. The digi temp device I had always used decided it wasn't going to give me true temp readings on that cook. Both its pit and meat probes weren't giving me the right readings. The pit probe kept telling me that the pit temp was mostly around 250° when come to find out it was actually hotter, like closer to around 300°. Same with the meat probe, it was reading cooler than what the actual IT was. I failed miserably to pay any attention to the dial thermometers. Once I did tune into them and saw that they were reading around the 300° mark the brisket had already been too far along to salvage. Bark was nice, but the meat was dry. Rookie mistake in putting all my trust in the digital device. I essentially did a hot and fast brisket, but wasn't aware I was doing it that way and left it to cook for too long.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky