Smoking Bacon and Food Safety Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

whistech

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Feb 21, 2009
Spring Texas
In about 3 weeks I will have 8 pounds of pork belly dry cured and ready to smoke.    I would like to cold smoke or warm smoke the bacon at the lowest possible temperature I can achieve.    Where I live the night time temperayure will probably be around 70 to 75 degrees and I'm planning on using the Amazen tray with wood dust since that creates less heat than the tube with pellets.    Realistically, the smoker will probably be running between 80 and 90 degrees if I smoke it at night.    Here's my question:

Can I smoke all night, take the bacon out the next morning and refrigerate during the the and then smoke again the next night without causing a food safety issue?     I would really appreciate any guidance or help you can provide.

Thank You,

Arlie

As long as you keep the smoker temp under 130, the dry cure keeps the meat safe for around 7 days at 40 to 90 degrees. Look at Country Bacon, hangs in the smoke house, often a shack, and gets smoke 24/7 at ambient temp based on time of year and region of the country...JJ:grilling_smilie:

Last edited:
Good question, Glad you asked it. A person never knows when all of a sudden BOOM something happens and I gotta go.... Now we have the answer. Thx Chef and wild west as well.

Chef Jimmy and Wild West, thank you so much for responding to my question.    I was really worried if I could smoke the bacon safely.    I will be sure and post some pictures when I smoke it.

Thanks Again, 

Arlie

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky