Smoking at altitude

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Beigledog

Original poster
Jan 5, 2019
I moved from NY to CO last spring. I’ve been smoking with my Smokey Mountain for about four years. With the exception of one time when I tried to smoke with -10 degree wind chills for the Super Bowl, I never had any trouble getting my smoker up to temp in New York.

...then I moved to a Colorado. Literally every time I’ve smoked since I’ve been here, I’ve had problems getting the internal temp high enough. I have always used Kingsford Charcoal, but my buddy told me to try using limp charcoal instead. I’m trying lump today, but I can’t get my smoker to crack the 220 degree mark.

Anybody ever run into this problem? Any suggestion on how to get my temps higher?

Sorry I have no experience at higher altitude smoking, but have you tried using more lit coals during the initial start up? The only thing I know(or think I know) is that it will take longer to cook the food. At least I bumped this thread so maybe someone with more experience can see it. Maybe @disco, he's in the Canadian Rockies I believe.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky