Smoking a turkey...How many pounds is too big and makes a dry bird (because of long smoke times)?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

uncle eddie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 14, 2016
Central Missouri
I smoke turkey - a lot.  It's a cheap and delicious meal and the frozen birds keep forever in the deep freeze.  I brine every turkey for at least a day prior to smoking them.  I usually smoke them at 275F in a MES40.  I use and A-Maze-N 5x8 pellet smoker and mostly use Pitmaster Blend.   

With that background...I have noticed that some turkeys are very juicy and some are still good, but tend to be a bit on the dry side.  

Tonight's bird was 14.35 lbs and was on the dry side.  Smoke time was 10.5 hours.  Picture below.

I think anything over 12 pounds will be on the dry side due to the long cook-time.  Does anyone else have any thoughts on this matter?

Last edited:
Try spatchcocking the bigger birds, I did my first spatchcocked turkey a couple weeks back on my 22" weber and dont think I will do them any other way. They where so good the next weekend I did 6 chickens by request for a neighbors birthday party the same way.

I've had good luck with birds even over 20# on my SI#3 being juicy. Last 20# only took 6:45 @ 250*F

Are you over cooking? I bring mine to 165...

Last edited:
Echoing what has already been said.. Are you going by just time or are you using an internal temp thermometer? Are you checking in the breast or thigh or both? No matter how big your bird is, you always want to go by internal temp- not time- no matter what any chart says how long it should cook. Hopefully that's not stating the obvious, but it is a common error.

I do 20+ pounders a couple of times a year hanging in my electric pit at 225-250 and have no issues.  Like the others have asked, how are you determining when it's done?

165F and the bird is done...

It was an off-brand turkey though.  Maybe had something to do with it.

10.5 hours at 275° suggests to me that your bird was overcooked. 6-7 hours at that temp would be my guess. YMMV.

Last edited:
Does your MES actually hit 275F or does it fluctuate over?  Mine would only get to 270F if I was lucky.

Also does the skin come out rubbery or leathery?

I'm asking these questions because I am in a battle with poultry skin and my MES smoker temps being lower than 275-325F.  I am trying to gather all the info I can as I test things out :)

My MES thermometer is calibrated first of all...and my MES 40 normally holds around 272-277 (if I am cooking and not looking)

The skin does come out rubbery with just about any poultry at low temp smoking temperatures - even 275F.  To fix that, if someone wants crispy skin, I pop it in the oven at 425 for 10 or 12 minutes and the skin is crispy as can be.  I also smoke my turkey on a broiler pan so I can transfer it from the smoker to the oven with no hassle.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky