smokin wood

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meatman72

Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
we all buy different wood to use in our smoker and it's fun to try different wood on different things . Our friend MOE CASON from Iowa said he uses white oak on everything . That brings up an idea . I have a wood burner that I use on very cold days to help heat my house ,in fact it does such a good job I can heat the whole house and save on natural gas . Well , when you order fire wood in the Midwest I found you get a mix of oak, maple and some fruit wood ,it comes split and seasoned may have some bark on it .I'm thinking maple is good smoking wood too and I can get a cord of firewood split and seasoned delivered for $150,00 ,see what I'm getting at? In stead of 8# bag or 10#  bag your getting a rank of wood 8ft.wide,8ft.long and 8 ft. high .and to me I'm thinking I may just do this and not buy any bags of wood unless I get Pecan or something that don't grow up here . I bet I am not the only one whos thought of this , and maybe some of you are doing it now . So any way I just thought I would share that . For charcoal , some say the briquettes have chemicals and I  have used mostly briquette's , I used the natural chunk  charcoal which I liked but it takes some getting use to if you've been a briquette man because it does burn a little hotter and you don't need a lot to start ,as far as burning longer , they say it does but I never timed the burn on each . Saying all that I think I will try another bag of the natural chunks one more time .I am in favor of chem. free with everything. So until next time don't let your meat loaf ,smoke it.

I find my wood where ever I can. I look for guy who cut down trees. Worked so far.
This is what I do. I tell them I want all hardwood. Around here I can get a mixed load of red and white oak and hickory or a sorted of either or fruit wood. I can also get a smaller load if I don't want a full face cord

What you said is the mix you get I would use any of it to smoke with. I don't remove the bark either. Injoy you're smoking and home heating. Post some photos of some of your cooks.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky