Smokin-It Smoker Temperature

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
True. My post was really just poking fun at what we do to reach smoker nirvana

I am thinking about replacing my MES 30 and have been looking closely at the SI 2 or 3

Scubadoo, I think you might have missed the purpose of my post. One of the main reasons I bought the SI smoker was its simplicity and few parts to break. I had a MES before, I know about complicated. On the SI, I had a probe that was out of range, called the company and they sent me a replacement in less than 24 hours. I guess I don't consider what I did a mod or tinkering. I simply replaced a part on mine that was defective. I posted the replacement procedure just in case in the future someone else needed to replace there temp. control unit. 

Scubadoo, I think you might have missed the purpose of my post. One of the main reasons I bought the SI smoker was its simplicity and few parts to break. I had a MES before, I know about complicated. On the SI, I had a probe that was out of range, called the company and they sent me a replacement in less than 24 hours. I guess I don't consider what I did a mod or tinkering. I simply replaced a part on mine that was defective. I posted the replacement procedure just in case in the future someone else needed to replace there temp. control unit. 
You made a very good post on this.

If my MES ever went bad, I would consider an "SI".

Do they have any glass doors---I like to keep an eye on things inside.

Thanks for a well written, interesting post,

Bear

Scubadoo I'm with you on this one.  I would not be happy with a product that has to be torn down and repaired by myself due a defect in material or craftmanship.  When I make a purchase I have an expectation that the product will work as advertised.  If this means the manufacturer has to test each unit before delivery so be it.  Think I'll be looking more into the Cookshack products as well.

Scubadoo I'm with you on this one.  I would not be happy with a product that has to be torn down and repaired by myself due a defect in material or craftmanship.  When I make a purchase I have an expectation that the product will work as advertised.  If this means the manufacturer has to test each unit before delivery so be it.  Think I'll be looking more into the Cookshack products as well.

I don't get paid by SI or get anything from them, so don't think I'm saying anything based on anything other then my own experience or experience of others on this and other forums. That said, if you are discouraged by one or two people out of many on SMF potentially having an issue with a smoker that so many others have had no issues with, your expectations may be unrealistic. If you were to look into cookshack problems you would most likely find similar issues at a similar rate of occurrence.

Everyone has to come to their own decision as to what smoker to  get based on the best information available. As one of the two people who have had a problem, I am entirely satisfied with the service I got from SI regarding my smoker and I am still happy with my purchase. I don't think I could have asked for better service. I really would have been upset if the solution to my problem was boxing the smoker up and exchanging it. I would buy from SI again, and I have in fact recommended them to at least one neighbor who is in the market.

JayBone, I honestly can't speak on the Cookshack, I know nothing about it but the SI, I still recommend.

For the last few days, I have been prowling the internet looking for info on household voltage.  What I have gleaned is that it fluctuates for a variety of reasons but generally does no damage to the item plugged in. I suppose when you see a plate that states 110 vac, or 115 vac or 120 vac, the manufacturer is rating either the lowest, the average or the highest voltage that the appliance will require for reliable operation. I have also learned that delivered voltage to a home can vary as well depending upon load.

I suspect, from what I have read, that this variance can impact the desired set temperature.  In dealing with a heating appliance with a simple mechanical rheostat (thermostat?) that regulates the voltage through increasing or decreasing resistance, one cannot or should not expect rock solid stability. Consequently, the temperature will fluctuate as the element heats up and cools down to maintain a desired temperature within a certain tolerance and based upon the voltage reaching the unit. 

Can a mechanical (or even a digital) thermostat or rheostat be defective or out of spec?  Sure it can. Is the defect done deliberately?  No, it is not. Sometimes stuff just happens.  Maybe just a bad component, not evident until it is put into use. Frustrating yes, but correctable.

On the issue of looking at the Cookshack:  Before I purchased the 066, I did read about problems with the temperature, even though it was digital and supposed to be dead on accurate. It had affected a few of the smokers, and was traced to defective boards. Not all the boards, just a few. It was corrected. And I was able to get one of the used units that had been repaired at a nice discount. Does the temperature fluctuate?  Yes it does. A couple of degrees up and down. So it is not perfect, even considering the premium price. And I would NOT do it again. The food that I get from my smoker is not superior to that from the model 3 I gave as a gift. I wish it was but it is not. I cannot even fool myself into believing that it does a better job.

I bought a model 3 to give as a gift after much research.  There were, at the time, only a couple of complaints regarding the units, same with the SmokinTex units. In the end, the SI unit won out. It is working very well, and the results are "good eats", to borrow from a TV show. Had the the SI units been as problematic as the MES units, there would have been no gift of a smoker. 

The absolute bottom line is to do research, to buy what one wants, with the features one wants, and to know that being made by the hand of man, it may not be perfect. 

I am not an electrical engineer. I do know on/off.

Well, being Sunday, that wraps up my sermon. 

Last edited:
Here's a temp curve from my SI #3:

Set to 225, ribs taken out and foiled, unfoiled and finally cranked up to 250.

I don't get paid by SI or get anything from them, so don't think I'm saying anything based on anything other then my own experience or experience of others on this and other forums. That said, if you are discouraged by one or two people out of many on SMF potentially having an issue with a smoker that so many others have had no issues with, your expectations may be unrealistic. If you were to look into cookshack problems you would most likely find similar issues at a similar rate of occurrence.
Everyone has to come to their own decision as to what smoker to  get based on the best information available. As one of the two people who have had a problem, I am entirely satisfied with the service I got from SI regarding my smoker and I am still happy with my purchase. I don't think I could have asked for better service. I really would have been upset if the solution to my problem was boxing the smoker up and exchanging it. I would buy from SI again, and I have in fact recommended them to at least one neighbor who is in the market.

JayBone, I honestly can't speak on the Cookshack, I know nothing about it but the SI, I still recommend.
You both make very good points.  Perhaps I was a bit hasty in drawing my conclusion.  Thanks for sharing!

I have been keeping quiet on this thread but... I am glad that SI has stepped up the customer service, that was my issue, took three weeks to resolve my problem. In the end Steve sent me a new temp controller. I was ready to buy one just to fix it, 25 bucks and some change plus shipping from SI. That being said, the first time I laid eyes on the controller was when I opened the new one. What came to mind was another "cord hanger ". Not an impressive sight on a 500 dollar smoker. Simple though, sometimes a good thing, however, maybe too simple like someone mentioned, voltage varies and could very well be the problem. On mine I have stuck with the PID because I really use the cook/hold function. One of these days I might make it switchable between the PID and onboard controller. Simplicity in a smoker is a good thing but in my opinion SI should take a good look at how they control temp. But overall I really like the smoker.

Doug

Doug,

Sounds like everything worked out in the end. Yes, the analog controller is simply; even archaic.  But they do work with a certain amount of reliability and they are inexpensive. Digital on the other hand is very precise.  Done well, it can be a joy to use.  Done poorly, and it is not only useless, but expensive to repair (check out the replacement cost over at Cookshack.com). As you say, simplicity in a smoker is a good thing. Hope you have smooth smoking from here on out.

Dave

The first 10 lb pork butt I did in my smokin-3 took me 20 hours. I did not have a meat probe and was opening the smoker to monitor the butt.I recieved my wireless maverick probes and that made all the difference for me. My second try I did 17 lbs of butt in 12 hours to 196*. I found I had to turn my smoke temp control to 245* and my oven temp would rise to 232* and swing down to about 215* and then swing back up. It pretty much kept that range. This is my first smoker and am really enjoying it.

Last edited:
Glad to hear. Temperature swings are normal  for an analog controller. If they're reasonable and the end product is good, all is well.

Smokin-it is introducing a wood fired pizza oven now (no price yet).  Looks nice and matches the smokers.

this is the only thing that concerns me with this smoker. 

I will be getting in in the near future (#3) and hope, HOPE that the temp range is not lower than what it should be.  I can handle higher temps but not lower. I will be using a Maverick to monitor the    temps anyways. 

It would be nice if they had a test run before they packed each smoker up prior to shipment as part of QC.

Zed

I will be getting in in the near future (#3) and hope, HOPE that the temp range is not lower than what it should be.  I can handle higher temps but not lower. I will be using a Maverick to monitor the    temps anyways. 

It would be nice if they had a test run before they packed each smoker up prior to shipment as part of QC.

Zed
You can always get a pid.  This will keep the temp swing to 5 deg, possibly less.  Best investment besides the amnps i have made for my mes electric.

Zed
Analog electric smokers will have a swing, just part of the deal with them. The SI has them, but controls a bit better than others due to be very well insulated. On the plus side, they are essentially bulletproof because there is really not much that can go wrong with them with so few parts.

I am not faulting the unit for the temp swings.  It is part of the electric experience for better or worse.  My worry about it is specific to lower than expected temp swings.   That is if the unit can't reach the maximum temp of 250 as average.  IE if you set it to 250 and it swings between 220 and 250 as some have reported. 

I can deal with higher than set temp swings (the 30-35* swing is expected without a PID), but there I snot much you can do if the smoker can't reach the set temperature(due to thermostat problems). 

I know most people's unit has no problems but a few people reported the lower  range of temp swings.   I probably shouldn't worry about it as most have no issues , but being in Canada I worry about extra shipping costs if there are problems (and dealing with customs and the carriers....)

I am happy most of you guys are having no problems and in fact have excellent experiences with this smoker.   That's why I am getting it.....

Sorry for worrying out loud 
hit.gif

Zed

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky