Smokier pulled pork

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jcam222

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jun 13, 2017
Northeast Ohio
For about the last year I make sure my water pan is very clean and fill with a mix of broth and spices. I pull the pork and refrigerate it, the pan drippings from being wrapped AND the water pan liquid. The next day I skim the fat off the liquid and mix in to the desired moistness / flavor. People rave about my pork. They always loved it but I’m this manner they swear it’s the best they’ve ever had. The problem is often I do not generate enough liquid to do all the pork. So now the question- The while purpose of this is to get more of the Smokey taste throughout the meat. Have any of you tried smoking the pulled meat in pans at a low temp for an hour or so to achieve a similar result?

I have not tried it but no doubt it would add smoke flavor to the meat. My only concern is that it would tend to dry out the meat.

I have not tried it but no doubt it would add smoke flavor to the meat. My only concern is that it would tend to dry out the meat.

PP is such a long smoke and takes on so much smoke, I find it odd you want more. What you propose could work, but consider changing your wood to something more aggressive instead. Strangely, one of the best things I ever did on my PP was trying oak. I tried lots of woods/blends (had to do 50lbs for daughters grad party) and halfway through the first oak run, I knew it was "the one". Buy Mixon's book and check out his injection too.

Reactions: jcam222
PP is such a long smoke and takes on so much smoke, I find it odd you want more. What you propose could work, but consider changing your wood to something more aggressive instead. Strangely, one of the best things I ever did on my PP was trying oak. I tried lots of woods/blends (had to do 50lbs for daughters grad party) and halfway through the first oak run, I knew it was "the one". Buy Mixon's book and check out his injection too.
Both great suggestions thanks

If you are also looking for more liquid gold at the end of the smoke, try marinating it overnight (approx 15hrs) in a mixture of pickling salt, molasses and water. Details in sig recipe below.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky