Smoker build from Stainless Steel

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

lindsay herring

Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
I am looking to build an electric smoker to smoke summer sausage and possibly jerky. I have a USDA inspected plant in NC and plan to expand my wild game processing. Wild game in an non-amenable meat and would not come under the same tight scrutiny as inspected meats But I want something I can easily follow similar processing techniques.

I want to build a cabinet smoker and I can use a heat source like a heating element and be able to add smoke in the box or simply cook with low heat. I would like the cabinet to be around 4-5 feet tall and around 2 feet deep or deeper. I would love to be able to roll a small cart inside but will suffice with a rack or hanging technique. The fridge ideas are really neat but I have a lot of stainless just laying around I would like to make useful since I have access to them and someone who can knowledgable weld something together for me.

What are your ideas? I would love to start this project and be able to post on here. What is a PID and what are other things I may need.

Find a controller similar to below..   40 amp, 240 volt so you can run an oven element...    Some PID's will learn so they don't overshoot temps...

Auberins makes some great controllers....   You can probably talk directly to them to see what you need......

http://www.auberins.com/?main_page=index&cPath=1

Insulate the smoker well ....   think about Roxul insulation...   fire proof.... 

Use an external smoke generator....   Todd makes a tube smoker that would provide adequate smoke for your size unit...  and he has the best pellets...  Most are made from the species tree you are looking to smoke with, and he does have blends....  

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/12.htm

http://www.amazenproducts.com/category_s/62.htm

You can call Todd and talk directly to him....  He's a LONG time member here....
  • A-MAZE-N Products, Inc. 
  • 1932 Shawnee Road, Eagan MN  55122-1032
  • Ph: 651.352.2831
  • Ph: 651.352.2831
There are many members on here that are willing to help you with their advice....   SPEAK UP if you can help.....

Reactions: lindsay herring
Awesome info. Has anyone made anything similar that I could use as a guide. I would hate to make something that would not work. So the PID hooks directly to my power source and element and will work as a thermostat? Are they programmable?

Not really familiar with PID's. Below is is my base. I am tying to turn this into a giant oven to do large batches of summer sausage. My best guess is going to put an element in each side and one PID. My question is, can the PID suggested control both elements? Does the PID control one setting or can it monitor both sides variably? I want to convert one of these boxes to a smoker but my initial one is going to be a low temperature oven. Although there are 2 openings, it is separated by a partition. These are hot boxes they use in cafeterias and appear to be insulated and stainless in construction

What do you think? The heat source is still in the box but I am unsure it works at this moment.

I would recommend running both sides on separate Pid controllers if you plan to use both sides separately and because they are partitioned.

I can help you with the wiring if you wabtwant to pm me.

Buy prequels PhD controllers from auberins. It's lots of work to build one and the parts will cost you the same as a fully built plug n play unit that has more control options that are very useful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky