Smokehouse pulled pork?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

archeryrob

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Western Maryland
I do not have a steel smoker like most people here probably do. I have a wooden smokehouse that I use for sticks, bologna and pastrami. So, my daughter had friends butchering split hogs and she bought one half and talked me into paying for half and helping while I was drinking. I told her it was her deal to run and she needed a plan on how all this was going to be used and so on. Yesterday we cut them all up and I was surprised how much meat is on half a pig. Way more than any buck I have killed!! Now I can't use the freezer or I will have no place to put deer meat. So I am thinking of smoking, pulling and pressure canning the rear leg roasts "ham", as it is leaner. I wanted to know how hot the smoker needs to be to make it break down to be pulled?

I plan to smother in Memphis rub and smoke at 120 and to 140 in an hour and Finish there if I can. If not I can toss them in a pan and finish on the grill or in the oven. Then shred and store over night. Then make a sauce in the morning, pack quarts with meat and cover in sauce and pressure can. I am already getting resistance from the wife on canning it, as it won't be "fresh" :emoji_unamused:

I need advice on the cooking part in time and temperatures to know how long it can stay in the smokehouse, if it can finish there, or it needs to finish elsewhere.

I didn't know what this girl was getting me into, and she didn't know either. I have 1 - 4.5 gallon meat lug 5/8 full of sausage meat, 1 - 4.5 gallon full of shoulder roasts, for the freezer and 1 - 7 gallon full and plastic wrapped with a loin and rear leg roasts. :emoji_astonished:

Last edited:
Before starting

Attachments

• 496AA512-6EF7-4172-A6EC-2CEE47655742.jpeg
    496AA512-6EF7-4172-A6EC-2CEE47655742.jpeg
    152.4 KB · Views: 14
First, that looks amazing.
Second, I'd invite some friends over and have a hog party with a cinder block / chicken wire pit. Then save the leftovers. Your daughter's friends should come too.

I plan to smother in Memphis rub and smoke at 120 and to 140 in an hour and Finish there if I can. If not I can toss them in a pan and finish on the grill or in the oven.

It sounds like you may already know, but in case you don't, the 40-140 needs to be followed. The meat needs to get to an internal temp (or at least the first couple inches) of 140 within 4 hours. Cooking at 120-140 is a little concerning but for an hour it SHOULD be okay as long as it's all wrapped and in the oven after an hour at a temp of at least 250 for the remainder of the cook.

Cook until the internal temp is 200 (it really starts to become pullable around 190), and letting rest for about 2 hours wrapped in towels and you should be good.
(I'd also be wary of poking the meat with anything before it goes in the oven to not introduce the external bacteria to the inside. Maybe I'm just overly paranoid?)

One of your biggest challenges is going to be moisture. A ham doesn't have nearly the fat content of a shoulder. You could wet brine or inject with butter/fat, and wrap it to retain the moisture and finish with a nice glaze and sear. Really anything to retain that moisture is ideal. Don't forget to save the juices when you unwrap!

By the way, I totally dig your smokehouse build link. Well done.

Last edited:
Reactions: pa42phigh
Smoker temp 225 or higher to a internal of 190 and above. If you’re smoking at lower temperature like you suggested I would cure it and make pulled ham.

Then I may need to smoke and pull in to finish in the oven. Its an all wood smokehouse and i am not sure I want to try making it 250 275 inside. If the bottom lights fire, its over. :emoji_wink:

I plan to makes the fire box stacked vaulted ovens, which would work for these temps. The smokehouse just will not, or I should not try, and finish it that high.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky