Smokehouse build with Pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokincold

Original poster
Mar 28, 2020
Thanks for all the input on my questions on heat sources. I thought I'd start a thread with pics of my build. Sorry if I don't have the photos in here right, I tried to link them but can't figure out how to use the site.

Still more work to be done, but it's coming together. I both hot and cold smoke, and am excited to get some bacon going in here.
I used this build as a guide. My box is 3/8 smart-side, 1.5" insulation, and 1/2 plywood/cement board sandwiched together. The ceiling has 3" of insulation as I had the leftovers.

IMG_20231020_212814934.jpg

IMG_20231021_101157547.jpg

IMG_20231021_170759225.jpg

IMG_20231022_173933932.jpg

IMG_20231029_162027582_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231029_161806069_HDR.jpg

IMG_20231029_164120907_HDR.jpg

Nicely done! I also used that link for reference when I built my smokehouse. I lined the inside with hardi concrete board then aluminum flashing....

And welcome to SMF. I look forward to your first smoke!

Reactions: JLeonard
Thanks for the kind words!

I'm planning on adding 3 thermo-couples at different heights (low, med, high) in the cabinet for temp readings. I was looking for a old school dial thermometer, but none have probes long enough to mount though the door or walls. I'll add a exterior box to house the micro-controller reading the temps and sending to the house.

I'd also like to add a flame out sensor for safety.

I'm giving it a dry run today. The AMPS alone from 32F to 52F after a few hours. I'm going to run the burner for a while and bring it up to about 200F and let anything off gas as needed. Any other recommendations before running it with meat?

Reactions: Winterrider
Nice work. It should work great. Just keep an eye on it for flame out. I’ve had it happen if the wind is just right. Only other suggestion is to bring it up to or above 200* for an hour or so then do a good smoke session with it for 5 or more hours to get a smoke layer inside before you go with meat. Otherwise enjoy your new smokehouse. They are indispensable for the smoking meat craft.

Btw, mine is 3x3x7’ and the maze or tube is not enough smoke for the size, I had to get a Smokin It smoke generator for cold smoking, now that thing can make some smoke.

Looks good , right up to the Durock . That has a fiberglass mat that holds it together .
Personally I wouldn't use that around food unless it was covered , and I probably wouldn't do it then either .
I see you mention letting it off gas . I'm not sure you'll ever get it to . The face and back are both covered with the glass mat , and the edges are poly-propylene .

Reactions: gmc2003
We bought a long probe dial thermometer from sausage maker many yrs ago. Maybe still available. Long enough to go thru metal siding, 3/4" plywood and a 2x2.

Looks good , right up to the Durock . That has a fiberglass mat that holds it together .
Personally I wouldn't use that around food unless it was covered , and I probably wouldn't do it then either .
I see you mention letting it off gas . I'm not sure you'll ever get it to . The face and back are both covered with the glass mat , and the edges are poly-propylene .
Nice catch. I used Hardibacker 1/4” cement board vs the Durock. If it is Durock used here, I agree that it’s not good for food.

Reactions: tmag
Thanks for the feedback on the durarock. Short of starting over, and tearing it all out, any thoughts on encapsulating it in mortar or something else. I didn't realize that it had fiberglass in it. I certainly see the risk if it's exposed. Wondering what I can do to cover it/encapsulate it.

Thoughts?

I didn't realize that it had fiberglass in it. I certainly see the risk if it's exposed. Wondering what I can do to cover it/encapsulate it.

Thoughts?
I'm certainly not knocking your efforts or your skill . It's quality work in my eyes .
I'm also not an expert on building a smokehouse .

I know guys use Hardie Board . I'm not a fan of that either , but it's different than actual cement board .
I looked up the cut sheet / product data if you're interested .
Line item 13 under limitations says not to use in areas that exceed 200 degrees .
If you're cold smoking or staying under 200 maybe there's no worry .
I would personally cover anything that's exposed or remove it .
You can get Refactory cement or fire place mortar . Do a couple skim coats maybe , or a Stainless steel panel .

You could fire it up as planned and see what happens .

Thanks Chopsaw. I fired it yesterday before the post and ran it at 230 for about 90 minutes. I'm more worried about exposed fibers floating around than anything. I think I'll skim coat it this spring, already too cold here. Wondering what I can do in the meantime?

Wondering what I can do in the meantime?
Just be advised of what could happen . I would think over time that exposed to temps above 200 it will dry out and start to come apart . Thing is , drying it out is releasing vapors inside the smoke house .
I would look and see what Lowes or Home Depot has for metal panels . They sell cold rolled and aluminum in different sizes .

Reactions: smokincold
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky