Smoked Wild Pig

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks Mighty Tasty from the Den, Warren!!!

Any Ribs to "Spare"??

How many were fed at that Awesome Shindig??
Like.

Bear

I love the post but sorry to hear about the overly lean. How about introducing some moist heat with foil and a liquid?

Could you, or whomever butchered the pig, have left all the belly muscle attached? Saw some guys cutting up a wild hog. They cut the ribs from the loin then just removed the skin. All the belly, side muscle and fat was on the bone. Think Bacon on a Stick.
They were very meaty...JJ

JJ thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Warren

Looks Mighty Tasty from the Den, Warren!!!

Any Ribs to "Spare"??

How many were fed at that Awesome Shindig??
Like.

Bear

Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

Just me and the Mrs. neighbor did stop by for some hand outs as he always does when he smells the smoker.

Warren

I love the post but sorry to hear about the overly lean. How about introducing some moist heat with foil and a liquid?

Thanks for the like Disco it is greatly appreciated.
It for sure was a learning curve and do plan on some type of moisture with the next one.

Warren

Thanks to all for looking and thanks again to all for the likes they are greatly appreciated.
Thanks for all the words of wisdom for a future trail and error.

Warren

Nice work!

Yeah wild pork ribs can be a little difficult. If they are too small I wouldn't fool with smoking them.

If you want a fool proof approach season up the ribs and put them on some kind of rack and place the rack in a turkey roasting pan that has a lid or some kind of pan you can cover well with foil. Put water in the bottom of the pan so you can generate steam, cover the whole thing and put in the oven at like 325F. Let them cook until they are good and tender but hopefully not falling apart and then finish them on the grill.

That approach will work for big, small, fatty, or lean wild pork ribs. The best wild pork ribs for smoking are from the bigger pigs like 150 pounds or higher. The smaller ribs are just not much to work with. Also if you dress and clean the animal yourself keep as much fat and extra tissue as you can on the primal cuts and then any scrap fat and such to drape over the lean cuts you may try to smoke.

The taste of wild hog is different from farm raised and is amazing! It's like a whole other type of animal hahaha.

I've also often found out that on the smaller and/or younger wild pigs that you don't really need to go as high in IT for the meat to be perfectly good and edible. You may not always be able to get to "pulled" consistency BUT you will have easily edible fork and knife consistency without drying it out.

When in doubt with leaner wild animal meat wrap in foil and be ready to add liquid to keep it from drying out :)

Keep at it and a great learning experience indeed!

Tallbm Thanks for the like it is greatly appreciated.

And Thanks for your words of wisdom.

Warren

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky