Smoked Venison Sandwich

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chew2475

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 28, 2014
Connecticut
Decided to take out a venison roast from a Whitetail doe I got this past fall. I covered it with "Saltgrass 7 Steak Spice" and then wrapped in Saran Wrap and let sit in the fridge for a few hours. After sitting I fired up the pellet smoker with some apple pellets and smoked it at 225 until it reached an internal temp of 130 degrees. I then pulled it and covered with foil and let it sit while I caramelized some onions. Then sliced the venison thin and piled it on a roll. Topped with caramelized onions and a slice of provolone. Stuck under broiler until melted and toasty. Topped with some horseradish sauce and dug in. It was moist and mouth watering. Will be doing this again with other roasts in the freezer.

Attachments

• Venison 1.jpg
    Venison 1.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 105
  • Venison 2.jpg
    Venison 2.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 103
  • venison 3.jpg
    venison 3.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 108
  • Venison 4.jpg
    Venison 4.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 109
  • Venison 5.jpg
    Venison 5.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 104
Decided to take out a venison roast from a Whitetail doe I got this past fall. I covered it with "Saltgrass 7 Steak Spice" and then wrapped in Saran Wrap and let sit in the fridge for a few hours. After sitting I fired up the pellet smoker with some apple pellets and smoked it at 225 until it reached an internal temp of 130 degrees. I then pulled it and covered with foil and let it sit while I caramelized some onions. Then sliced the venison thin and piled it on a roll. Topped with caramelized onions and a slice of provolone. Stuck under broiler until melted and toasty. Topped with some horseradish sauce and dug in. It was moist and mouth watering. Will be doing this again with other roasts in the freezer.

That looks great! The cut looks like a top round roast. I save them as my whole venison roasts more than the other two off the hind leg. I prefer the bottom round for fajitas but they just aren't always that big compared to the top round.
I meat hunt does and spikes in TX and the bodies on our hot climate whitetail does are usually no bigger than about 90-95 pounds.

I look forward to the next venison posts you have! :)

That looks great! The cut looks like a top round roast. I save them as my whole venison roasts more than the other two off the hind leg. I prefer the bottom round for fajitas but they just aren't always that big compared to the top round.
I meat hunt does and spikes in TX and the bodies on our hot climate whitetail does are usually no bigger than about 90-95 pounds.

I look forward to the next venison posts you have! :)

Thanks for the look and comment. I hope to do more soon. School is almost out so hopefully will have some more time with the summer off.

Reactions: tallbm
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky