Smoked Tri Tip at Dads

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

McLoven1t562

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Apr 26, 2014
Long Beach, California
Stater Bros had a great sale on a pre-packaged tri tip. I typically go with a fresh cut that I marinade and season myself, but this brand has been great in the past and seeing through the package it had barely any fat like other packaged cuts.

Used my dads Char-Broil electric smoker for the first time and I'm just not a fan at all.....feel like it barely even smoked. He's only used it once, but smoking so much with even my propane one I had years ago. You barely saw any smoke coming out at all.

ANYWAYS, the meat still came out real nice. I pulled it around 120 and put it on the grill for a few minutes then let is rest under foil to bring it closer to 140 (yea I prefer medium lol) tasted great along with the grilled asparagus and the quickly cooked texas toast we had in the freezer =P

1.jpg
2.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Even over cooked I’d hit that for sure, still looks delicious. Always tough cooking on a different cooker but looks like you did a great job.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Even over cooked I’d hit that for sure, still looks delicious. Always tough cooking on a different cooker but looks like you did a great job.
lol I swear this is one of the only cuts I ever get accused of "overcooking." I get it, rare/medium rare!! =P ha ha

thanks man, yea definitely not a fan of using grills and smokers for the first time, never know how they behave

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks good, Tri-Tip can be tricky, I like to pull from the smoker when it hits 110 then quickly sear it on the Gas Grill.

Smoke ON!
- Jason

Looks great! I'd definitely help make some disappear!

Ryan

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky