Smoked & Seared Tri Tip For Johnny Ray (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Not too long ago our good friend Johnny Ray Johnny Ray posted that he and his wife were planning a BBQ pilgrimage to Austin. When I read that I reached out and extended an invite for them to join us for dinner one evening when they were in town. The first mistake he made was accepting the offer. The second mistake was actually showing up :emoji_laughing: We bounced around some ideas for dinner and decided on a tri tip and a few nice trimmings. Well that dinner happened last night and overall I was happy with the results. Hopefully Johnny and Lyn were happy. At least I know they didn't leave hungry...or empty handed.

A CPB tri tip seasoned up with my beef rub
016.jpg

Decided that some fresh baked sour cream and onion dinner rolls would go well. They have been a huge hit every time I've served them
002.jpg

Dough after the first proof
012.jpg

After the second proof. This stuff exploded!! Over tripled in size sitting in the bowl
013.jpg

Portioned out to proof for the third time
014.jpg

Fresh out of the oven. These smell incredible!!
015.jpg

A pan full of extra cheesy scalloped potatoes. Used copious amounts of mozzarella and cheddar, onions, salt, and black pepper
017.jpg

They both love asparagus, as do we, so thought I'd give them a different take on it. Butter, pecans, and cranberries in a CI skillet and grilled
018.jpg

Made some chimichurri to go on the meat. Looks horrid but boy does it ever add a lot of flavor
023.jpg

Appetizer plate with homemade smoked beef sausage, cheddar cheese, and club crackers
019.jpg

Lyn, Johnny, and Tracy enjoying an adult libation on the patio prior to dinner
020.jpg

Tri tip on the Rec Tec for about 3 hours at low temp / extreme smoke
021.jpg

Take the roast off, put the sear grates in, and run the grill temp up to 500 degrees
022.jpg

Meat all done. Took about 45 minutes to get to temp. Didn't get the sear I was hoping for but that's OK.
024.jpg

Oh baby...nailed it. Amazing what you can do when you have a good digital thermometer :emoji_wink:
025.jpg

Close up. This is beautiful IMHO
026.jpg

Taters all done. Boy did they shrink a lot!! There was still plenty to go around though
028.jpg

Asparagus all done
029.jpg

The whole spread
027.jpg

Dinner plated. Not a very pretty plate but the food was good!! Beautiful day so we are enjoying dinner on the patio
031.jpg

Folks chowing down
033.jpg

Johnny raising his hands in triumph after destroying his second full plate of food. Three cheers for Johnny!! Lyn can't believe he got through that second plate.
035.jpg

I will say this without reservation: Johnny and Lyn are two amazing people!! We had such a great time and pretty much solved all the world's problems :emoji_astonished: It was one of the most enjoyable evenings we have ever spent with anybody and can only hope / pray that we can all get together again. The roast was really good with a light smoky flavor and a nice tingle from my rub. Johnny wasn't too sure about the asparagus when he saw it before going on the grill. Seems he decided that it was pretty good being that he had a good serving the first time around and took all that was left on his second run. The taters were very good but could have cooked just a bit longer. They were nice and hot but not quite fully cooked. Chimichurri was an incredible addition to the meal, so much so that Lyn asked for the recipe, which of course I printed for her. Honestly though, I believe the star of the meal was the rolls. Those things are just incredible. Weren't many left when dinner was over :emoji_wink: All in all a great evening spent with new SMF friends and some memories to last a lifetime. Cannot wait to see them again...hopefully at the TN gathering next month.

That's it folks. Thanks for dropping in and we'll see y'all next time around.

Robert

source.gif

Outstanding! That whole meal looks off the charts good man. And the TT was perfectly done. Glad you all had a great evening together. Next time xray xray and I are going to crash the party to get in on some of that goodness.
798a71d4-e6ba-4f5d-864e-9fe495273a4d_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: xray and JLeonard
Boy howdy Robert, you put out one beautiful spread to say the least! That tritip screams out "perfection on a plate", it just doesn't get any better than that. A good time with great folks, that's what life's all about, huge Like! RAY

That's just Beautiful, Robert! TT perfectly cooked, and everything looks delicious. So glad a good time was had by all. Another excellent job!

looks like ya had a great evening Robert, always great to share a meal like that with friends.

Wow! Where do I start? In a World of COVID and chaos let me start with Robert’s and Tracey’s generous invitation to their beautiful home. Only the finest of people would even consider doing such a thing in our current times.
Their home and property is beautiful beyond words. You can just see the pride in their eyes as they invite you in and show you around.
We arrived a bit early (I hate to late for anything) and sat on the patio enjoying the company of new friends and a few beverages while Robert finished up the evening meal.
Before I get to the meal, let me say, I thought I was the only one that has an addiction to cookers, smokers and grills. But now I know I’m not alone 😀!
As for the meal let me say this - everything was soooo good. I ate way beyond full. I actually ate until I got tired😃!
After our wonderful meal we sat around and chatted until time to leave. Upon leaving Robert gifted us with a huge CPB porterhouse steak for me to grill later on our trip and 2 packages of homemade bacon. One is black pepper crusted and the other maple sugar. I can’t wait to cook up both!
We are on a 23 day camping trip through the great state of Texas. I’m pretty sure no matter what, meeting Tracey, Robert and Bianca (their sweet puppy) will be the highlight of our trip.

Johnny Ray

View attachment 491227

Outstanding! That whole meal looks off the charts good man. And the TT was perfectly done. Glad you all had a great evening together. Next time xray xray and I are going to crash the party to get in on some of that goodness.
View attachment 491228

I think we have no choice but to crash it SmokinVOLfan SmokinVOLfan because if Robert invited us, he’d probably picture us showing up like this:
B7B0DCD5-B16E-4E5D-8A4A-C69DC07482C7.gif

But in all seriousness, Robert that is a wonderful meal that anybody would surely appreciate and enjoy! You definitely went all out and everything looks absolutely perfect!

No much else to say but just EPIC! A good meal, good company, and a nice day!

Johnny Ray, you and Robert are not alone with your addiction!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Time & Meal Robert, as always!!
JR looking a Bit like "The Fonz" after a Great Meal !!
Thanks for sharing the Pics!!
Like.

Bear

Reactions: Johnny Ray
Nicely done and looks like some happy diner's...JJ

Robert, ya'll proved you can't keep good people down. That was a beautiful meal and opportunity getting face to face with members we talk with all the time. Sure this will be a lasting memory for all involved. Thanks for including us in your memories.🍻
John

great meal, cook and evening with friends. thats what matters in this world more that is given credit!

Great job Robert!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky