Smoked My First Brisket: Success!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

El Duderino

Original poster
Apr 19, 2020
I’ve only owned a smoker for three days. Decided to go big or go home, especially since I’m already home with this pandemic.

Picked up a 15lb USDA Prime Full Packer Brisket at Sam’s Club for $47. Seasoned it with a healthy layer of McCormick Sweet and Smoky seasoning and extra black pepper, ground coarse.

Smoked it on a Traeger 22 with Lumberjack Hickory pellets at 225 for 6 hours uncovered, then 3 hours wrapped in foil (no butcher paper available locally). It was fat up the whole time. Put in in a cooler as soon as the temp hit 205, then rested for 2 hrs.

Texture was soft, easy to chew, and juicy. Flavor had a medium strength to it, with decent “beefiness,” moderate smoke, and a good mix of sweet/spicy/savory. Could have used more black pepper though.

Goal for next time is to make my own rub and use butcher paper for bark. Will also use the smoke setting for a couple hours to impart more smoke flavor. After I’ve tried this, I’ll experiment with fat down, as well as flipping the fat side halfway through.

Cheers from Wisconsin!

447551C6-6DC5-46BE-B2DE-B3A3AD4132EF.jpeg
32A1A433-DB8E-42FC-B359-6C9FF3552E3A.jpeg

Glad it came out for you - Looks good - Briskets can be kinda intimidating - I have had some bad ones and some terrific ones

That is so much better looking than mine, my first one being the other day, that I am almost in disbelief.

Great job!

Glad it came out for you - Looks good - Briskets can be kinda intimidating - I have had some bad ones and some terrific ones
I think there was a significant amount of ‘beginner luck’ helping me out. Over time, my goal is to develop bbq skills that let me consistently deliver that artery-clogging, cancer-causing-in-California deliciousness.

I think I’ve come to the right place to learn.

Reactions: Bytor
What a great way to start off a new cooking adventure. Now is the time to jot down cooks notes, because you are on a journey, and you will make subtle changes along the way.

Reactions: El Duderino
Any time your first brisket is tender and tasty is a win!! I’m a little surprised it finished that fast at the cook temps you noted. Brisket looks great.

That is so much better looking than mine, my first one being the other day, that I am almost in disbelief.

Great job!
Sometimes you eat the bear. Sometimes the bear, well, he eats you.

Good luck on your next go. Share it when you do!

Nice. I got lucky on my first brisket as well.

Goal for next time is to make my own rub and use butcher paper for bark. Will also use the smoke setting for a couple hours to impart more smoke flavor. After I’ve tried this, I’ll experiment with fat down, as well as flipping the fat side halfway through.
The better way to get more smoke flavor out of a pellet pooper (I have one, too.) is with a smoke tube or tray. Check out A-Maze-N products
Traditional Texas brisket rub is called a "Dalmatian", or simple salt and pepper.
I don't wrap. I do foil pan

Any time your first brisket is tender and tasty is a win!! I’m a little surprised it finished that fast at the cook temps you noted. Brisket looks great.
I was surprised too. Looking back, I think two things may have contributed:

1. Trimming the fat cap fairly thin (ended up removing more than 2 pounds during the trim)
2. Cooking fat side up, on the bottom rack, in a grill that heats from the bottom

Who really knows though. I trusted my meat thermometer more than the clock on this one. I’m sure the next brisket will have its own quirks as well.

Nice. I got lucky on my first brisket as well.

The better way to get more smoke flavor out of a pellet pooper (I have one, too.) is with a smoke tube or tray. Check out A-Maze-N products
Traditional Texas brisket rub is called a "Dalmatian", or simple salt and pepper.
I don't wrap. I do foil pan
Got my tube in the mail this afternoon (right after I was done smoking; great timing)! Going to attempt cold smoked salmon later this week. Thanks for the tip!

Hi there and welcome!

Congrats on a successful brisket, time to improve and hone in to chase that perfect brisket lol.

One tip if u dont mind me offering it up.
Brisket is done when it is tender. It is tender when you can stab it all over with something like a wood kabob skewer and it goes in without resistance all over. The temp prove will tell you when to check for tenderness, I start checking around 200F and keep checking every 1-2 degrees until it is one.
Temp probe placement is tricky in a brisket so I do 3 and the best spot is the thickest yet center most portion of the Flat muscle. Don't put the probe in the point muscle, the point is hard to mess up but the flat is the problem child.

Oh tip 2 hahhaa, try to plan and finish about 4 hours early because a brisket is done when it is tender and it is tender when it wants to be so timing can be tricky. I konw that a constant smoker temp of 275F my briskets are generally done in just a little over an hour a pound most times so If i bought a 15 pound brisket untrimmed I can expect it to go about 16-17 hours (after its been trimmed) so I plan on it taking 17 hours and time to finish 4 hours before I plan to slice and eat. If it finishes 4 hours early just tightly double wrap with foil, wrap tightly in 3 bath towels, and set it on the table until 4 hours later and it will be piping hot and ready to slice and eat!

I hope this info helps :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky