Smoked Mexican Shrimp Cocktail

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SmokinEdge

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jan 18, 2020
Western Colorado
This is a tasty little summer fun meal, or side dish.
Shrimp. We use large Tiger prawn 6/8ct. For the rim, and use Argentinean shrimp for the soup. These are naturally buttery in flavor and also remind you of langoustine (lobster).

A1D87716-061B-420D-B305-3BD541305B98.jpeg

Tiger prawns
398E62B2-4159-4DCE-B05F-42E422B2E6ED.jpeg

marinate all shrimp in EVO, tequila, lime juice and a little beer, and red chile powder. No salt.
8CF91764-D85D-4799-B654-1C2933B94377.jpeg

Argentinean shrimp 16ct. A full pound (16oz.)
Large prawns, U-6 or 8 best (we are using 6/8ct.) 1-2 pounds
we will use here 12oz. Of Clamato, and 12oz. Of Original V-8 juice.
1 medium white onion diced
2 medium avocado, small chunked
about 4 medium garlic cloves, smashed and minced
about 2 medium/ large slicing tomatoes (out of the garden sends this to another level)
1 serrano Chile pepper minced
about 6oz of Hatch roasted and diced green Chile.
Half of a small bunch of cilantro minced
1 cucumber diced
1-2 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp chicken bouillon
2 large limes juiced.

Grill the shrimp over apple wood and charcoal.
251EC270-2607-484A-9EEF-D209FD5497CB.jpeg

Cover the big prawns with foil on a plate to keep warm.
Chop Argentinean shrimp For the soup.
62D3D107-085E-4E0F-B40C-DD343513BFE8.jpeg

Mix all ingredients ( no large prawns) in a bowl and chill
3ED356C7-0949-4711-BEB0-6F3EF4B2BA34.jpeg

Then presentation with large smoked prawns.
3EC89BC9-FD0B-4A07-A774-F2A5A688232B.jpeg

That looks like a great light summer dish. Nice and refreshing on a hot summer day. Thanks for tips.

That's a beautiful piece of work, looks delicious, Like! I eat the #15 red shrimp from Argentina about once a week, buttery and flavorful, need no sauce. RAY

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Looks delicious! Up here it is almost impossible to score any langoustines. I have one bag left. I might give this a try. Thanks for posting.

I definitely have to try this for the wife, she will gobble it up before I get one bite.

Looks real good from my vantage point.

Point for sure
Chris

I'd definitely try that!
That's a beautiful piece of work, looks delicious, Like! I eat the #15 red shrimp from Argentina about once a week, buttery and flavorful, need no sauce. RAY
Looks delicious! Up here it is almost impossible to score any langoustines. I have one bag left. I might give this a try. Thanks for posting.
Looks real good from my vantage point.

Point for sure
Chris
Thank you all for the likes. Is much appreciated

DANG! This is right up my alley. Each ingredient made the dish sound better.
Ive not heard of Argentine Shrimp before. They sound fantastic. I'm pretty sure Asian Farmed Frozen Shrimp are the only thing available locally, although Walmart sometimes carries smaller Gulf Shrimp...JJ

WOW!! That looks absolutely decadent. Excellent job and a magnificent presentation. I saw it early this morning but didn't have time to respond but glad I waited so I can say congrats on a well deserved carousel ride.

Robert

DANG! This is right up my alley. Each ingredient made the dish sound better.
Ive not heard of Argentine Shrimp before. They sound fantastic. I'm pretty sure Asian Farmed Frozen Shrimp are the only thing available locally, although Walmart sometimes carries smaller Gulf Shrimp...JJ

Thank you Chef.
feel free to add or change some things. This is very versatile in its construction.
Nice idea great post and write up.

Warren
Thank you. Much appreciated.
Now that is a meal that Judy & I could really get into!
I’m going to bookmark this for future use!
Nice job!
Al
Wow! I really appreciate that Al. Hope you do. You guys will love it.
Congratulations on the Feature!
Thanks a bunch. I was stunned, but very honored.
WOW!! That looks absolutely decadent. Excellent job and a magnificent presentation. I saw it early this morning but didn't have time to respond but glad I waited so I can say congrats on a well deserved carousel ride.

Robert
Thank you Robert. Congratulations back to you. Yours looks amazing.

That has everything i love in it (except beef)! Looks fantastic!
Thank you. There is no reason a guy couldn’t sneak a few snack sticks in there as well.
looks great
Thank you. Much appreciated.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky