Smoked Dried Beef with lots of Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

I need some advice...  I just tried this procedure and the center of my meat ended up mealy or mushey   what ever word you prefer.  I used a deer backstrap.

I used POP's brine mixture.

I left it in the brine for 15 days.

What did I do wrong?
I don't use Pop's Brine, but it sounds like you didn't smoke it long enough. It doesn't sound like a brine curing problem. How high did you take the internal temp?

You could PM Pops.

Bear

Gradly Smoker

Preheat Smoker to 120˚.
Put meat in smoker for 4 hour at 120˚----No smoke.
Hickory Smoke  4 hours    120

After second hour bumped  130˚.
After 4 hours of smoke  bumped the heat to 150˚.
After 2 more hours, bump it up to 160˚.
After 8 more hours, bumped it up to 170˚.
At the end  bumped up to 180˚.
Stayed at 180˚ until the internal temp hits at least 158˚ on each piece.
Total was 24 hours.

Gradly Smoker

Preheat Smoker to 120˚.
Put meat in smoker for 4 hour at 120˚----No smoke.
Hickory Smoke  4 hours    120

After second hour bumped  130˚.
After 4 hours of smoke  bumped the heat to 150˚.
After 2 more hours, bump it up to 160˚.
After 8 more hours, bumped it up to 170˚.
At the end  bumped up to 180˚.
Stayed at 180˚ until the internal temp hits at least 158˚ on each piece.
Total was 24 hours.

Wow!!!

That should have been plenty Dry!!

If your Therm is accurate, I would PM Pops, and ask him if you used his Brine Cure properly, because it shouldn't be mushy inside after all that smoking time & temp.

What therm are you using?  Maverick?

Bear

I thought my therm was not working so I went bought a new one.    Didn't change anything.   The meat temp stayed around 112 for most of that cooking time.   After your questions to me, I'm going to buy  a therm to hang in the Bradly Smoker and  verify that the Temp on the outside of the smoker matches the temp inside the smoker.

Then maybe I will use your recipe.

Thanks for the advice.  I will post additional info later.

I thought my therm was not working so I went bought a new one.    Didn't change anything.   The meat temp stayed around 112 for most of that cooking time.   After your questions to me, I'm going to buy  a therm to hang in the Bradly Smoker and  verify that the Temp on the outside of the smoker matches the temp inside the smoker.

Then maybe I will use your recipe.

Thanks for the advice.  I will post additional info later.
Might I suggest a Maverick "ET-732".

Digital wireless, will send you the smoker temp and Meat IT continuously. I couldn't go without mine.

Bear

Hey bear!

I found the recipe (formula?) for making Lebanon Bologna. Want it?

Phil
Hi Phil !!

If you have a good one, you should make some, and start a new thread, with the recipe on it, and maybe some Pics.

I'll definitely come to visit.

Bear

I sure do want the receipe......

FYI   I purchased the therm   ET-732.   Works great.

My Bradley is way off on its temp  readings.

when set on 180   temp is 160 where Bradley probe is in bottom of smoker.  Top rack is only 140.

Used ET  732  to smoke jerky las week and it came out great.

Thank you for your help.

I sure do want the receipe......

FYI   I purchased the therm   ET-732.   Works great.

My Bradley is way off on its temp  readings.

when set on 180   temp is 160 where Bradley probe is in bottom of smoker.  Top rack is only 140.

Used ET  732  to smoke jerky las week and it came out great.

Thank you for your help.
Now you'll be cookin' !!

Bear

Hi Phil !!

If you have a good one, you should make some, and start a new thread, with the recipe on it, and maybe some Pics.

I'll definitely come to visit.

Bear
Thanks. after my last batch, I learned that smoking during winter temps is not the best. have to smoke longer, hotter, etc. So I'll probably wait till this summer to make some. But I can start a thread so other people with better setups and etc can certainly try! The recipe I have makes 10 pounds at a time!

My new slicer arrived yesterday, now to get time to get those last 12 pounds of beer candy sliced! I've also learned I have to hide it from my friends if I want any left...<GRIN>.

Later!

Phil

lebanon bologna thread is here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155660/lebanon-bologna-anyone

Last edited:

Thanks. after my last batch, I learned that smoking during winter temps is not the best. have to smoke longer, hotter, etc. So I'll probably wait till this summer to make some. But I can start a thread so other people with better setups and etc can certainly try! The recipe I have makes 10 pounds at a time!

My new slicer arrived yesterday, now to get time to get those last 12 pounds of beer candy sliced! I've also learned I have to hide it from my friends if I want any left...<GRIN>.

Later!

Phil

lebanon bologna thread is here:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/155660/lebanon-bologna-anyone
Yup---Only good thing about Winter is your beer stays nice & cold.

Bear

Just got done making some with venison rounds and when I sliced it juices poured out of the round.  The texture of the meat seemed fine and everything just very moist.  Is this normal or should I smoke longer and lower temps next time.  Mine rounds hit 158 at 13.5hrs and the other at 14hrs.

Just got done making some with venison rounds and when I sliced it juices poured out of the round.  The texture of the meat seemed fine and everything just very moist.  Is this normal or should I smoke longer and lower temps next time.  Mine rounds hit 158 at 13.5hrs and the other at 14hrs.
Hi Dan!

Usually at that amount of hours, it isn't too moist, however it wouldn't hurt to go many more hours.

I like it a little more moist than the dried out stuff they sell in store, but there definitely should not be juice running out.

I would try adding another 4 hours or more @ about 160* smoker temp.

Here is a link to one I did with Venison Hind Quarter:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/101317/smoked-venison-dried-beef

Bear

I have never really tasted dried beef before this thread only in my mother in-laws beef ball which is really salty and mostly cream cheese.  So when I sliced my first slice of this stuff I was amazed at how awesome dried beef is.  My first time my AMZNPS had issue so I did not really get it smoked so it was more of just dried beef.  My second go at it I was more through in making sure my AMZNPS was lit correctly and going so that dried beef was not dried beef it was SMOKED dried beef which was like "Holy Beef" when I tasted that.  So since I understood from this post about the salt content being a lot lower than the store bought stuff and more moist I tried making her dried beef ball and Mine was not over salted due to the beef and had a wonderful smokey taste to it.  That was about three weeks ago, some of that beef ball had been in my beer fridge that I forgot about.  Last night I broke that out and when I opened it I smelled this heavenly smokey dip, I verified it had not gone bad or grown mold.  I tasted it and I was reminded how great that batch of beef was and the wife took it away, ate it all , the  accused me of being a hoarder...lol  I have a 6lb batch in the fridge now that I am drooling over and still have to wait a week before I can smoke it.

If the 12 pages of comments does not say enough I have to say it, BEAR CARVER Thank you so much for this thread and your constant help everywhere, you are a great asset to this site.

I have never really tasted dried beef before this thread only in my mother in-laws beef ball which is really salty and mostly cream cheese.  So when I sliced my first slice of this stuff I was amazed at how awesome dried beef is.  My first time my AMZNPS had issue so I did not really get it smoked so it was more of just dried beef.  My second go at it I was more through in making sure my AMZNPS was lit correctly and going so that dried beef was not dried beef it was SMOKED dried beef which was like "Holy Beef" when I tasted that.  So since I understood from this post about the salt content being a lot lower than the store bought stuff and more moist I tried making her dried beef ball and Mine was not over salted due to the beef and had a wonderful smokey taste to it.  That was about three weeks ago, some of that beef ball had been in my beer fridge that I forgot about.  Last night I broke that out and when I opened it I smelled this heavenly smokey dip, I verified it had not gone bad or grown mold.  I tasted it and I was reminded how great that batch of beef was and the wife took it away, ate it all , the  accused me of being a hoarder...lol  I have a 6lb batch in the fridge now that I am drooling over and still have to wait a week before I can smoke it.

If the 12 pages of comments does not say enough I have to say it, BEAR CARVER Thank you so much for this thread and your constant help everywhere, you are a great asset to this site.
Wow!!!   Thank You for the kind words. I'm glad you found out how really good Smoked Dried Beef can be!!!

I had a similar thing happen to me, even before I started smoking my own Dried Beef:

I used to take my Deer hindquarters to a local processor to be smoked & made into Dried Beef. That would take care of about 3 months worth of Sammies for my "Work" lunches (2 sammies per day). Then about the end of March, as usual, I ran out of Venison Dried Beef, and had Ham or Beef Sammies in my lunches. Then one day I was rooting around in my Fridge freezer, and hidden in the back was a pack of Ven DB. I was so happy I almost cried. We only put a little bit of DB in my Sammies that week, to try to stretch it out. Since I've been making my own, I haven't had that problem again.

Thanks again, Little Smokey,

Bear

Since I currently have your attention I have a question.  After smoking how long can you store the dried beef in the reefer?  I will be freezing some this go around but this question popped in my head.  I store it in a freezer bag in my fridge at least the one that is currently being used.  I mean it disappears so fast I am sure this will never be an issue but thought I would ask.

Thanks Bear.  I will try longer and lower temps next time I make a batch.  I let it sit the fridge overnight and it was no where near as juicy as it was an hour after smoking. it actually turned out almost perfect.  A touch salty for me but everyone else thought it was perfect.  Next time I will do a fry test or let it soak longer before smoking.  Not too bad for being this is the first thing I have ever smoked other than ribs.  Thanks alot your directions made this very easy to follow.  Will post a qview qview when I get home from work and can add pics.

Since I currently have your attention I have a question.  After smoking how long can you store the dried beef in the reefer?  I will be freezing some this go around but this question popped in my head.  I store it in a freezer bag in my fridge at least the one that is currently being used.  I mean it disappears so fast I am sure this will never be an issue but thought I would ask.
I never had to worry about it either, because it doesn't last long here, and I only freeze it in small packs.

However, I would say longer than other cold cuts, because it is smoked & drier than Ham, Beef, and Turkey lunch meats. I would imagine between 1 & 2 weeks in a baggie would be fine.

The store bought stuff would last longer, because theirs is more salty & drier, as you already know.

Bear

Reactions: little smokey

Thanks Bear.  I will try longer and lower temps next time I make a batch.  I let it sit the fridge overnight and it was no where near as juicy as it was an hour after smoking. it actually turned out almost perfect.  A touch salty for me but everyone else thought it was perfect.  Next time I will do a fry test or let it soak longer before smoking.  Not too bad for being this is the first thing I have ever smoked other than ribs.  Thanks alot your directions made this very easy to follow.  Will post a qview qview when I get home from work and can add pics.
Yup, I do that after thawing my frozen Dried Beef & my Frozen Smoked Salmon. When I thaw them out, there is moisture on the surface. I wrap them in paper towels "loosely" and put in fridge for a day or two, and they dry nicely. Then I put them in baggies to keep them from drying too much in the fridge.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky