Smoke vault gas conversion question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pcut

Original poster
Aug 6, 2014
Just got a 24" Smoke Vault from Camp Chef and am converting to gas. I called Questar (our local gas co.) and they said to use a #49 gas drill bit given that we live at 7000' ASL.  I have drilled the orifice out with that size and have only done the "curing" or "burn-in" process.  I found that the control had very little range of control-  when I went to a little below the "Med" setting, the burner was almost off and when there was even the slightest breeze it simply went out.  The flame is entirely blue.  Should I drill out the orifice more to let more gas through or is the problem the control?

What says the brain trust?

I'm suggesting here... IMHO a 'Blue' flame is a good fire , gas and air are balanced. Do you have a 'Needle Valve ' in line , ahead of the mixer  ? One placed there should give you better control, open gas fully and control at Needle valve...

If I'm wrong ,
pb.gif

Have fun and . . .

Just got a 24" Smoke Vault from Camp Chef and am converting to gas. I called Questar (our local gas co.) and they said to use a #49 gas drill bit given that we live at 7000' ASL.  I have drilled the orifice out with that size and have only done the "curing" or "burn-in" process.  I found that the control had very little range of control-  when I went to a little below the "Med" setting, the burner was almost off and when there was even the slightest breeze it simply went out.  The flame is entirely blue.  Should I drill out the orifice more to let more gas through or is the problem the control?
What says the brain trust?

Hi,
I have a Smoke Vault 24 and did the conversion to natural gas. The instructions from the Camp Chef recommended a #52 drill bit. I used that bit and it worked great. I had difficulty I had was finding that size. Finally found it at Graingers.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky