Smoke Daddy cool smoker unit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maximushjn

Original poster
May 13, 2013
Purchased one a day ago and have not got it yet. But anybody out there has one that can give me some user info.

Yep... Crucial you let it heat up very hot with pieces of lump charcoal(use a torch to light) and the fan on high before using any wood chips...Not doing so will cause drippy sticky mess. 

When the fittings are really hot and you have a good little fire going you'll be good to go.  I personally use a mix of lump and chips which keeps it hot and tastes really well.   Occasionally you'll have to tap some ash out the bottom but not that much if you use the lump mix. 

When it's done smoking i liked to keep the air hose hooked up and take tiny pieces of foil tape and cover the bottom vent holes...this shut it down quickly which preserves any left over fuel and prevents any gunk build up in the pipe.  I have since gotten a bottom cap with out holes that i now put on instead of using the foil tape.  Dennis will send you one if you ask.  One other thing is occasionally i run a small pipe brush through the pipe. 

It works incredibly well for me, just give me a shout if you have any questions.  BTW make sure to use the spring baffle that comes with it.  I just held it on by a piece of wire.    Just like any smoker you have to use it correctly for it to perform well. 

Last edited:
Purchased one a day ago and have not got it yet. But anybody out there has one that can give me some user info.
It really depends on what you are smoking as to how you use it.  Mine is used for cold smoking only therefore it is used differently than FWI uses his.  Mine is kept burning low and slow which will produce more deposits on the inside of the unit and this is fine with me as these deposits are not traveling on to my product.  As for cleaning, it is not a problem.  Remove the vent tube then use a torch to burn any residue from the smoker body and lid, then give the both a quick scrub with a wire brush.  Insure the vent hole is open in the vent tube (mine has never clogged) and replace. As FWI, if you have further questions, please ask.

Tom

Last edited:
It really depends on what you are smoking as to how you use it.  Mine is used for cold smoking only therefore it is used differently than FWI uses his.  Mine is kept burning low and slow which will produce more deposits on the inside of the unit and this is fine with me as these deposits are not traveling on to my product.  As for cleaning, it is not a problem. Use a torch to burn any residue from the tube and lid, then give the both a quick scrub with a wire brush.  Insure the vent hole is open in the tube (mine has never clogged) and replace. As FWI, if you have further questions, please ask.

Tom
Actually Tom i only use mine for cold smoking cheese etc... but not for the long ham smokes like you do and sometimes i use for hot smoking, i'm using my drum smoker more for that now...but i just don't like the drippy sticky by not starting out with the pre heating.  Regardless though you preheat yours prior to smoking though don't you?

Last edited:
Actually FWI, the preheating is a good idea, but  I don't preheat because the units that it is used on are all well insulated making it difficult to keep the internal temperature below 75° as when smoking cheese.  Cleaning the way I do is not a problem to me at all and does not have to be done after each use.

Edited my original post to help clarify the cleaning process.

Tom

Thanks for the heads up. it arrived yesterday and i will be using it this weekend to smoke some cheese for starters and moving on to pork belly(bacon).

Thanks my first smoke will be cheese and moving on to pork belly

Thanks Mr. T for the info ,I will be following your advice and hopefuly I get be rewarded with the great sucess that you have had. Looks very tastety.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky