SMF: A Life Changing Experience....Literally

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
Back in 2011 I had a bunch of vacation time I had to use or lose. I'd worked too hard for it to let if go by the wayside so I scheduled two weeks off. Got bored one day and decided to make an attempt at BBQ. Headed to Home Depot and dropped a whopping $89 for a CharBroil offset smoker....which I knew absolutely nothing about using. Loaded up on what I thought i'd need to get started, stopped at the grocery and grabbed a rack of baby backs, put the rig together, and fired it up. To say my first attempt was an epic disaster would be the understatement of the century. The ribs tasted like they had been marinated in kerosene, basted with turpentine, and glazed with shoe polish. We had sandwiches that night for dinner :-) Talked with a friend the next day that had decent experience smoking meats and he gave me some pointers. Tried again on Day 2 and saw some improvement but still pretty horrible. We ordered out for pizza that night. Same friend directed me to this place where I lurked, read, and learned for quite a while before actually joining. Since finding SMF and gleaning knowledge from so many incredible people here, I quickly started turning out some REALLY good Q. At this point the wife is finally on board and loving what's coming off the smoker. With her support it makes my hobbies much easier to indulge in since she makes and manages the money around here. I'm now on my 5th smoker, which is a custom built pit fabricated to some pretty exacting specifications....all of which I learned about here. My ribs, brisket, turkey, pulled pork, etc have become staples for us and a bunch of friends that absolutely love coming here for BBQ. That experience in and of itself is life changing but only the tip of the ice burg.

Fast forward to early last December. I've been a sausage junkie all my life and finally decided to start making my own. After reading reams of information here and getting a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for Xmas along with a grinder / stuffing attachment I pulled the trigger and made my first batch of sausage. It came out really well....or so I thought at the time. I had nothing to compare it to though. My first batch was breakfast sausage, for two reasons. I love it and it's my wife's main choice of breakfast meat. She only likes bacon on BLT's so my decision was based in big part on her preferences. Over the course of a few batches I figured out that I simply did not have the correct equipment to meet my expectations. The stand mixer, with it's 275 watt motor, just didn't have the necessary power to grind the meat efficiently so I bought a 3000 watt grinder with part of my Christmas bonus from work. WOW!! I think I could put a Volkswagen in there and grind it into scrap metal :-) It also came with the tools for stuffing the casings but on my 2nd try with this I noticed a huge problem. The first 6" of sausage that went into the casings looked like it was supposed to but very quickly started looking one-dimensional and pasty. Then it dawned on me what the auger driven tools are just turning my farce into pate'. The meat will not go through the stuffing tubes as fast as the auger is designed to push it so it's just spinning around and making what looked like Silly Putty. Back to Amazon and ordered a designated 5# - 7# vertical stuffer. Now we're getting somewhere!! Sad part is that this was recommended to me by one of the members here but I ignored it. Stupid move on my part. This makes ALL the difference in the world on the final product. Since Christmas I've really started dialing in techniques and recipes (the majority of which are my own now) and turning out some amazing sausage.....to the tune of over 150# in two months AND the wife is once again on board.

Had an afternoon off preceding Christmas and got bored. Decided to try curing some bacon. Read a bunch of stuff on SMF, had a couple private conversations with very knowledgeable (and helpful) folks here, and off to Costco I went. Bought the smallest pork belly I could find. Didn't want to trash a bunch of meat if it didn't come out right. Cut the belly into 2 pieces. Made one piece as a pepper crusted and the other with Disco's Maple Bacon recipe. My fears of it not turning out right were totally unfounded. This was the best bacon I've ever had, bar none!! Now here's the interesting part. Please pay attention to this Disco, it's important. Wife came home from church one Sunday morning while I was slicing the bacon. I had a couple slices of each (in different pans) going and some sausage links for her in a third pan. She mentioned how great the maple bacon smelled and during breakfast asked if she could have a taste. This is a first for her so naturally I agreed. That was the beginning of the end :-) She took all of my maple bacon and gave me her sausage. It was that good!! Thank you Disco for what is literally another life changing event!! Now, every weekend morning when I ask what she wants for breakfast the first response is "maple bacon". That's pretty impressive coming from a woman who would always give me her bacon if we went out for breakfast. She just wouldn't eat it. Needless to say that has become a mandatory item around here. The pepper bacon is amazing also. I love it any time but it makes the best BLT's you could ever imagine.

Fast forward again to last Saturday. I really like a good burger but my wife absolutely loves them. She had found a line of gourmet pre-made frozen burgers at H*E*B (it's a Texas thing) that she liked and we were out of them so she grabbed a box on Saturday. I looked at the box and realized she'd bought Jalapeno pork patties. This is not what she wanted and was distraught as there were aspirations of burgers for dinner one night over the weekend. As she was preparing to make the hour + round-trip to exchange them I told her not to worry about it. We have a little grocery store a mile from the house. I'd go get the meat, grind it up, and make her custom burgers. Her response was "we can do that?" Certainly we can....and that's exactly what we did, after coming back to SMF to determine the best meats and ratios for burgers. Cut, chilled, ground, and mixed the meat exactly to her specifications yesterday afternoon and grilled for dinner. They were fantastic!! Best burgers either of us have ever had. Needless to say she is hooked on that concept also. Yet another life changing event for us due to this forum.

In summary I am not kidding in the least when I say that this group has forever changed our lives in a very good way. I cannot thank enough each and every one of you who has contributed to the information here. I still stand by my assessment that this is the absolute best group on the 'Net. Thus far, here is a short list of things that we will never buy again commercially or from a store:
-BBQ of any sort
-Sausage
-Bacon
-Hamburger (patties or pre-ground)

I'm sure there are other things but that pretty much covers all of the major food groups :-)

Awed in Lago,
Robert

Awesome post Robert. This is indeed a great sight. I made my first bacon just like you almost two years ago and have not bought store bacon since. My wife flat out refuses to purchase it and lets me know when we are running low. I also started making sausage and love this process as well.
I need to step up my game however as I do not have a grinder other than the Kitchen Aid like you have. Guess this will be my next purchase.

Link

Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has had experiences like mine.....but I guess it'd stand to reason.

Yes, I'm having a blast with all this new stuff I get to play with. It's almost to the point that I need to quit my job so time is available to indulge in my hobbies :-)

In addition to all of the sausage, I just smoked and sliced what equates to about 30# of bacon so it was not just the one batch. My third batch is now vac sealed and ready for consumption, making a total of almost 200# of goodies in the past two months. There is about 40# of stuff in the freezer but that's it. We have eaten a lot and a lot has been shared with friends. They are as addicted to this stuff as I am :-)

Forgot to mention, the burgers we did yesterday were mixed with gourmet blue cheese and coarse ground black pepper. Man!! What a deep, rich flavor when added to the excellent quality beef I used. Added a small pack of cheap, fatty bacon to get the fat content up but that never showed up in the flavor profile, which was a concern. Just pure juicy burger goodness.....and life is good!!

Nice post. Like.
I can't get the Wife fully on board. She seems to think cured meat, beef of any kind or pork in any significant quantity is going to kill me. I argue that at my age I have earned the right to die by whatever means I choose, and I choose food.

Great story Robert!
The thing is a great percentage of us learned our hobby on here just like you!
This place has changed a lot of peoples lives!
Al

Reactions: mike5051
"She seems to think cured meat, beef of any kind or pork in any significant quantity is going to kill me."

Here's my take on that concept: Being born is the first step to dying so may as well have a good time while we're here. I'd rather live 70 years happy than 75 years miserable :-) If my concept holds true I still have at least 20 years of debauchery left in me.....assuming I don't step out in front of a bus.

Reactions: SonnyE
Awesome writing as already stated this forum has taught most of us a different way of life. A way of life with enjoyable food to eat and share with friends and family. Now you need to pick up on some of the fantastic sides to go with fine smoked meals.

Warren

YAWYE - You Are What You Eat. By 'doing it yourself', you are promoting much better health and well-being. My 'Pop's Brine' is less than 1/3rd the amount of curing nitrite than what is in commercial bacon - 1 oz./gal. vs. 3.84 oz./gallon, and proven by tests done in Europe -
http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/pops6927s-curing-brines-regular-and-lo-salt

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/181560/immersion-bacon-curing-lab-test-results

Same way with sausages - just the ingredients you need, not all the preservatives. My breakfast sausage has only 3 ingredients and it is totally flexible - increase or decrease the amounts, experiment however you like with it - I give away the formula from my dad's store to keep his sausages alive!

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/73350/country-style-breakfast-sausage

Ever look on the side of a jar of Armour Dried Beef? Compare it to my dad's dried beef:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/74622/s-o-s-smoked-dried-beef

.... and so on! if you make it yourself, you can control the batch size and the freshness and don't need all the preservatives! So glad you discovered this wonderful place, and please help others to discover this great forum too!

Reactions: mike5051 and tallbm
Great story, so many of us have gone through similar transformations. Making you own is so superior to buying commercial products, it's impossible to explain the difference to people that haven't experienced it. I have made all my own hamburger meat for years, as I don't trust what goes into commercially made versions.

Great story, so many of us have gone through similar transformations. Making you own is so superior to buying commercial products, it's impossible to explain the difference to people that haven't experienced it. I have made all my own hamburger meat for years, as I don't trust what goes into commercially made versions.

I agree to that statement with in-store-ground burger, absolutely. I was born and brought up in a meat store and was a commercial meat cutter, manager and supervisor for 30+ years and I have seen and been forced to do unspeakable things to ground meats. However, I was able to tour a commercial meat processing plant (Moyer in Pa.) on a field trip with 30 other meat managers by our VP of Meat Operations and got to witness the entire operations, from kill floor to final grinding and packaging of ground meats. The ground meat in sealed tubes (1,3,5,10,20 lb) is 100% pure beef at stated % - 73/27, 80/20, 85/15, 90/10, 93/7, and 97/3, and has up to a 45-day code date. How is that even possible? 99.96% total sanitary conditions.

I wrote an article about it.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/index.php?ams/ground-beef-in-a-tube.9829/

Robert, morning... Thanks for the review of the forum and it's members.. I think most of us feel the same... Sharing our recipes to provide fellow "fanatics" with what we think is great food and processes...
This is by far, the best forum on the web with members that really help each other..
Dave

Reactions: mike5051
OMG! I'm still in a knee slappin laughing fit!
My sides hurt!

OMG! God Blessed Texas!
I learned a few things from your growing pains.
If Jay Leno was still on, I forward your story to him!

Thank You for sharing that!

Your 3000 watt grinder gives you Bragging Rights. That steer grinder has 4 HP!
I bet it heats up your electric meter.

Silly Putty Sausage Bah ha, ha, haaa!

Awesome!!!!
While I don't have the time or money for that kind of experience, I am already on my way...
Put together my Christmas money this year and invested in a smoke vault 18. We already will never need to go out for ribs or chicken-SMF has removed the learning curve!

"Awesome!!!! While I don't have the time or money for that kind of experience, I am already on my way..."

As much as I understand and respect the financial constraints, the reality is that you don't need a bunch of high-dollar equipment to have a great time and turn out some amazing food. You may be surprised what can be done with a $19 kettle grill and a $3 bag of charcoal. Great steaks, chicken, pork, fish, etc...With some time learning temp control you can do brisket, ribs, and butts on that same $19 grill that are as good as any. Certainly, it's nice to have the convenience of clicking a button and generating temps high enough to do Black and Blue steaks, but it's not a requirement for good food or good times. Matter of fact I have some friends that are on the professional BBQ circuit here in Texas. They have an old, rusted-up, nasty looking pit that they roll onto a trailer, strap down, and head up the road with. The smoker looks like it should have been sold for scrap metal 25 years ago but those guys are making Q that's as good or better than most.

Hoping to clarify,
Robert

Great story Robert!
The thing is a great percentage of us learned our hobby on here just like you!
This place has changed a lot of peoples lives!
Al
Preach it Al! When I first started smoking meats, my wife was not a fan at all and while I tried to convince myself that what I was putting out wasn’t too bad, I can now admit that it was all pretty horrible lol, then I found this place and things started to change.
The “Seasoned Smokers” here, such as yourself, have always been extremely generous with tips and support and the quality of the food I put up has improved dramatically.
I now own two smokers, including the newly acquired OKJ Bandera, which my wife describes as my New Toy, plus a Blackstone 4 burner propane griddle. More importantly, my wife LOVES the food I put out now and will come home from the store with various meats she would like me to try.

I seriously doubt that any of this would’ve happened if I hadn’t found SMF.

I know what you mean

Since joining this forum. I'm doing stuff with my smoker that I have always wanted to try (Jerky and cheese) and my BBQ is 10x better than it used to be.

The good news is that I'm just getting started (smoking for about 4 years is all) and look forward to learning and doing even more in the future.

Thanks to all those that have helped make this forum what it is

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky