Small smokehouse build

Discussion in 'Smoke Houses' started by onytay, Nov 28, 2011.

1. onytay

onytay Smoke Blower

[​IMG][​IMG]Well guys things are going good so far thought I would share the progress with you all. Its a work in progress.[​IMG]

2. pops6927

pops6927 Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking good so far, very good workmanship!  What is your heat source?

3. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

Looks like a good start.[​IMG]

4. onytay

onytay Smoke Blower

Going to go with propane, thats the reason for the concrete base and concrete blocks.

5. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

let me pull up a chair and some :popcorn looking good so far

6. rbranstner

rbranstner Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looking good so far. My smoke shack was slow going but once it was done I sure wish I would of finished it sooner. It sure is nice having all that room.

7. roller

roller Smoking Guru SMF Premier Member

Thats going to  be real nice !!!!

8. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Looks like a perfect size!

9. smokingohiobutcher

smokingohiobutcher Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Excactly the size I would like for the backyard! Oh man the wife is gonna kill me when I start one of those one day!

That looks like it will be perfect for Bacon, Turkeys, Hams, ect.

Looks Great! I will be watching! [​IMG]

SOB

10. frosty

frosty Master of the Pit

Onytay, welcome!  Thanks for letting everyone look over your shoulder with the photos.

I'll be tuning in to see the progress!  Go get 'em, that is gonna be a great smokehouse! 

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  11. So far so good, but I can tell this is gonna take 

a lot of [​IMG]

But I'll stay till the end.

12. onytay

onytay Smoke Blower

Man you guys are great, everyone says I'm crazy for building one this large. Dimensions of the wooden structure are 4x4x6. I haven't decided exactly how I want to frame the roof, either squared up with no overhang or should I put overhang on front and back [​IMG]  decisions! Hey wait a minute, what do you guys think?  I'm using some Forest green metal left over from my shop build to cover the roof, if that helps you visualize some ideas for how to frame the roof. The weather turned crappy here so it doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get to it until Thursday. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

13. tom c

tom c Smoking Fanatic

If you don't do a overhang some day you will wish you did.

14. michael ark

michael ark Master of the Pit

On the over hang the bigger the better .It just snowed here last night .Don't know were you are but just saying .What kind of roof are you thinking sloped to the back or hip etc?

15. onytay

onytay Smoke Blower

Going to slope it to the back, as far as the overhang goes I was thinking more for appearance on wether or not to do an overhang, it's sitting about 10ft from the shop where its dry, warm and I'll be [​IMG]

16. scarbelly

scarbelly Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Man that is looking great so far. I will be following this one 

17. jckdanls 07

jckdanls 07 Master of the Pit Group Lead OTBS Member

Myself I would put overhangs on it... makes it more aesthetically pleaseing...

18. onytay

onytay Smoke Blower

Update : sorry no pics yet, but I've gotten the roof framed up now and started on building the smoke chamber door and the stoker door. I'm waiting on the insulation to come in and gotta run out to Lowes to get the hardwood plywood for the interior. I guess ill have to order the dowel rods online because all I can find local are 36 inch rods which aren't long enough for me. I guess that's all for now. More to come.

19. miamirick

miamirick Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

if thats your small smokehouse.....     show me a pic of the big one   you could hang half a cow in there    

20. onytay

onytay Smoke Blower

I guess I should have called it a mid sized smokehouse, didn't want people thinking it was a full size smokehouse.