Simple Way To Eat Your Veggies - With Sausage and Stovetop Stuffing!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
I really don't like eating cooked veggies that are steamed, nuked, or cooked on the stove. They taste bland to me and no amount of seasoning makes much difference. BUT, my wife insists I need them for fiber and vitamins. I agree, but still am not a big veggie fan. Roasting is okay. They are great in soups, but since I do the vast amount of cooking, onions and garlic are about the only veggies I use consistently. Veggies often age to the point I have to get creative to eat them, and that creativity often happens when I'm not in the mood to cook. THAT'S how this simple and fast veggie meal came about.

I had two boxes of store-brand stovetop stuffing in the cabinet that had a best by date of March 2023. The rest was all veggies on their last leg. The whole recipe came together in like 20 minutes from start to plate with ZERO technique.

Stovetop Stuffing Sausage and Veggies Meal

This was a throw-together experiment that was FRIGGIN' AWESOME!

Great way to use up aging vegetables.

Ingredients
4-6 chicken-apple sausages, quartered and cut into ½" cubes (any cooked sausage will work)
1 large yam, peeled and cut into ½" cubes
½ onion, chopped
1 yellow squash or zucchini cut into ½" cubes
2 cups chopped fresh broccoli or cauliflower.
1 cup sweet corn (optional)
3 cups boiling water
½ cup butter (1 stick or 8 Tbs)
2 boxes stovetop stuffing any flavor or mix of flavors

Directions
If using uncooked sausage or bulk sausage, cook it first, then follow directions below.

Place everything but stuffing in a Dutch oven and cook covered over med-high heat until potatoes are tender, about 5-10 mins.

Turn off the heat and add the stuffing. Stir to wet thoroughly. Cover and rest for 5-10 minutes.

Serve.

The leftovers after we both had a large bowl. Enough for another meal or two.
20230809_120616.jpg

I bet that was great .
I'm currently climbing my way back from a diverticulitis flare up . First solid food I had in 4 days was a mix of baked potato scooped out and mixed with cooked green beans and leftover stove top . It was so good .

I'll have to try this when I get back to normal . Sounds good enough to be in the rotation .

Reactions: noboundaries
I confess, I have a Stovetop Stuffing cookbook, and it’s got some tasty recipes in it. One simple favorite is basically a can of prepared apple pie filling dumped in a baking dish, topped with a box of (prepared) Stovetop, topped with layer of pork chops. Bake till the chops are done

Looks pretty darn good to me. I do something similar with Rice-a-Roni. It's a good way to use up the leftovers.

Point for sure
Chris

I confess, I have a Stovetop Stuffing cookbook, and it’s got some tasty recipes in it. One simple favorite is basically a can of prepared apple pie filling dumped in a baking dish, topped with a box of (prepared) Stovetop, topped with layer of pork chops. Bake till the chops are done
I didn't know there was such a thing, but that pork chop dish will be on this week's menu.

I bet that was great .
I'm currently climbing my way back from a diverticulitis flare up . First solid food I had in 4 days was a mix of baked potato scooped out and mixed with cooked green beans and leftover stove top . It was so good .

I'll have to try this when I get back to normal . Sounds good enough to be in the rotation .
Get well soon. Rich. Sorry to hear about the flare up.

I do almost the same thing but the sausage is chourico and the StoveTop is the savory herbs flavor.
That's a great idea.

I like stovetop as a base for stuff. Gonna for sure give this a try.

Jim
Thanks, Jim.

Looks and sounds tasty! Rich, chopsaw chopsaw don't envy you with those flareups, but after two major surgeries for diverticulitis, it's not fun.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
...1 large yam....med-high heat until potatoes are tender...
Ray, you're equating yams and sweet potatoes here, right? Or are there potatoes included in the recipe? Or are you referring to the stuffing mix as potatoes???

I didn't know there was such a thing, but that pork chop dish will be on this week's menu.
The Stovetop Stuffing cookbook seems to be out of print, but if you do a web search you’ll find a lot of used copies for sale for $4 to $5.

The recipe in there is pretty similar to this:

Last edited:
Ray, you're equating yams and sweet potatoes here, right? Or are there potatoes included in the recipe? Or are you referring to the stuffing mix as potatoes???
Hey Bill. The grocers where I shop in Cali called white-skinned/white-flesh sweet potatoes "sweet potatoes" and red-skinned/red-flesh sweet potatoes "yams." They are both sweet potatoes, not yams, but that's how I've always seen them labeled in this state.

Reactions: bill1
I put a layer of sauerkraut in a baking dish, cover that with bratwurst, knockwurst, kielbasa etc., then cover that with stovetop that I diced some apple into. Bake, eat.

So good

I put a layer of sauerkraut in a baking dish, cover that with bratwurst, knockwurst, kielbasa etc., then cover that with stovetop that I diced some apple into. Bake, eat.

So good
Oh, I am so doing that. Thanks for shaing! Might have to add a layer of thin sliced onion and potatoes just to add vegetables with the apple and fermented cabbage. Dang. That's got my brain drooling, Bill.

Reactions: bill ace 350
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky